Discuss Meter Exchange - What does my supplier want from an electrician?! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have been looking at replacing my current legacy meter to a more common Economy 7 one. I currently have a few storage heaters that are on the single CU with all other appliance in the house, and I have a single 5-port meter which controls the on/off for the heating circuit (alongside its duty to switch rates for the general circuit) with its ALCS.

The problem is, everytime I asked my supplier (nPower) to look at the option of a meter exchange, they kept saying that we would need to get a sparky in, but they didn't actually explain what the sparky or us need to provide, or what work the sparky needs to do.

The sparky that we used was confused as expected and said he wouldn't have to change anything. Similarly, we are struggling to convince npower that they only need a competent fitter to fit a 5-port meter on and job done.

What should we do in this case as the supplier seem to know less than what us and the sparky know, and still wouldn't comply...

What's wrong with the existing meter?
We can't switch suppliers
Npower is charging some extortionate unit rate (22.5p/kWh for day!)
Their system can't even support it properly, can't submit readings online or get an usage prediction, they don't even know my off-peak hour (had to research myself!)

We can't switch suppliers
Npower is charging some extortionate unit rate (22.5p/kWh for day!)
Their system can't even support it properly, can't submit readings online or get an usage prediction, they don't even know my off-peak hour (had to research myself!)

Why can't you switch suppliers?

First, there are many, usually the smaller newer suppliers who aren't approved by D.C.C (who control the data) to have access to remote collected data so can only use customer supplied readings either online /text /phone. (They are being given a final instruction by Ofgem at the moment to get approval)
Any of them would suit your position.

Next, untill last year I believe, there weren't any Off peak Smart Meters and when there were, very few suppliers were prepared to fit them, I suspect due to the many varying setups with Off peak / Timeswitches / Dual rate / Teleswitch separate or inclusive etc that have been used over the years.

Last, A simple way to solve the problem would be to go with British Gas, who I would assume can deal with any meter setup (eventually,, after a few visits and head scratching).
Then when the Meter has been changed go with the cheapest supplier.
Newer cheaper suppliers will usually pay the leaving penalty if there is one.

Reply to Meter Exchange - What does my supplier want from an electrician?! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net