Discuss Mirror light bulb type in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

jschjsch

DIY
Reaction score
Good morning,

Our mirror light blub has expired. It has probably been there for around 10 years but because it has rarely been used it was just noticed recently when the main bulb needed changing and didn't have a back up light. Unfortunately I can't locate the bulb as examined it already and wondering if anyone can suggest from the photos which type of bulb fitting is needed.

Thanks

IMG-20220127-WA0003.jpgIMG-20220127-WA0008.jpg

standard filament lamp. take into local electrical whoesaler. they will match it for you. ask if there is a LED equivalent.

You can still get lamps like that at some diy sheds and electrical wholesalers.

Best thing is to take this one in with you to compare lengths, as they come in different sizes.

There may be writing on the glass with the size, but that comes off over time.

That type of 'striplight' has S15 connectors
If you prefer to buy one on-line, Google "S15s bulb", or try that on Amazon!
There are two popular sizes, 221mm long and 284mm long, so if yours measures as one of those - simples 🤪
Filament type and LED type both available.

I wouldn’t order any filament lamp online and expect it to be delivered in one piece.

Very fragile, and couriers can sometimes be a little rough with boxes.
Never had any such trouble myself (fortunately), e.g. back in the days when I bought 200W filament bulbs from eBay!
If it's a product sold by Amazon, I think they would keep sending replacements until you got an unbroken one 😂
But I agree that's extra hassle!
Edit: I accept the filament bulbs are fragile, but the LED versions would be a bit more robust, and I don't think those are glass either!

Last edited:
I've had several customers over the years asking me to investigate why their light fittings of this type still won't work after they've replaced the lamp. The answer has been, in nearly every case, that they have tried out the light before refitting the end caps.
For many years, these lamp fittings have been designed with a switch mechanism built into the end cap fixings, cutting off power to the lamp holder when it is exposed.

Reply to Mirror light bulb type in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net