Discuss Mk grid frame to drywall box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes. MK grid frames should be the same standard distance between fixing holes and will fit.

If this is for kitchen appliance switches, let me advise that a deep back box, the deeper the better, should be fitted for ease of installation.
The number of cables behind there can be quite squeeze.

Yes. MK grid frames should be the same standard distance between fixing holes and will fit.

If this is for kitchen appliance switches, let me advise that a deep back box, the deeper the better, should be fitted for ease of installation.
The number of cables behind there can be quite squeeze.
No, it’s for new light switches for a hospital

I agree the hole spacing is the same....but don't the lugs on the side need a recess to fit into?

What I have in mind is that for surface clad metal boxes you have to get the right one as there's one that doesn't have the recesses for the lugs.
1638622190151.png

For example, the 3/4 module grid doesn't work with this MK Metal box...
1638622429919.png

but does work with this one:

1638622452511.png

Is none of this an issue for the drywall back boxes?

I've used drylining boxes with grid switches, and although the lugs in the grid means it stands slightly proud of the wall, if you use a screwed grid faceplate with rounded/bevelled edges, it can be pulled into the wall leaving no gap.

There are flat-plate grid faceplates out there, don't use those as you likely will have an issue..

Of course, you could always fit a noggin in the wall, and use a metal box, but I'm guessing that is not an option.

I've used drylining boxes with grid switches, and although the lugs in the grid means it stands slightly proud of the wall, if you use a screwed grid faceplate with rounded/bevelled edges, it can be pulled into the wall leaving no gap.

There are flat-plate grid faceplates out there, don't use those as you likely will have an issue..

Of course, you could always fit a noggin in the wall, and use a metal box, but I'm guessing that is not an option.
Yes not really an option for a metal box.

I agree the hole spacing is the same....but don't the lugs on the side need a recess to fit into?

What I have in mind is that for surface clad metal boxes you have to get the right one as there's one that doesn't have the recesses for the lugs.
View attachment 92616

For example, the 3/4 module grid doesn't work with this MK Metal box...
View attachment 92617

but does work with this one:

View attachment 92619

Is none of this an issue for the drywall back boxes?
Hi you just fold those parts back with a pair of pliers. This is the case for flush mounting any of these.

Reply to Mk grid frame to drywall box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net