Discuss More small traders to be dragged into VAT in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

VAT threshold has been frozen since 2017.

While it's a fairly cynical move, I'd suggest there's currently greater justification than there was in the early years of this freeze. Public spending has been astronomical for the last couple of years and the only people who'll walk away smelling of roses are public sector workers. Not much mileage in private sector employees 'withholding their labour' until a double digit increase is awarded.

I'll probably get shot down for this, but perhaps an additional 10% on invoices is in order for customers employed in the public sector - no reason why they should object, given their apparent concerns about 'fair pay'.

VAT threshold has been frozen since 2017.

While it's a fairly cynical move, I'd suggest there's currently greater justification than there was in the early years of this freeze. Public spending has been astronomical for the last couple of years and the only people who'll walk away smelling of roses are public sector workers. Not much mileage in private sector employees 'withholding their labour' until a double digit increase is awarded.

I'll probably get shot down for this, but perhaps an additional 10% on invoices is in order for customers employed in the public sector - no reason why they should object, given their apparent concerns about 'fair pay'.
Its funny doing work for civil servants, they are often the first to challenge the quote/estimate and when im offered cash price its almost always a civil servant./ council worker etc. read in to that what you will. One woman was a investigator at DWP/Job Centre and wanted cash price - told her nope... another was a magistrate/JP wanted to pay cash for the charger install but still claim his OZEV grant! the irony... All like to think holier than thou..
The funniest of them all was a job in Bristol and the guy was a union rep and thought my hourly rate was too high, also wanting to pay cash if i lower it, i told him that its okay for his chums to walk out causing havoc on the trains for higher pay but not okay for me to charge a decent hourly rate. Who was he to judge if my rate was too high, eitehr he wanted the job doing or he didnt... he paid the quoted price in the end and a sizeable deposit upfront as he annoyed me.

Its funny doing work for civil servants, they are often the first to challenge the quote/estimate and when im offered cash price its almost always a civil servant./ council worker etc. read in to that what you will. One woman was a investigator at DWP/Job Centre and wanted cash price - told her nope... another was a magistrate/JP wanted to pay cash for the charger install but still claim his OZEV grant! the irony... All like to think holier than thou..
The funniest of them all was a job in Bristol and the guy was a union rep and thought my hourly rate was too high, also wanting to pay cash if i lower it, i told him that its okay for his chums to walk out causing havoc on the trains for higher pay but not okay for me to charge a decent hourly rate. Who was he to judge if my rate was too high, eitehr he wanted the job doing or he didnt... he paid the quoted price in the end and a sizeable deposit upfront as he annoyed me.

My last comment was partly tongue in cheek, but the barb wasn't without good reason.

Not much mileage in private sector employees 'withholding their labour' until a double digit increase is awarded.
I have increased my prices by more than 10% in the last year. I know it's different if you are an employed electrician rather than a sole trader BUT I would say that the current climate even in this recession the amount of work going on sparks could quite easily individually walk out and earn more elsewhere.
I mean it is easier if you are in a unionised workplace, but most of us are not really in that environment, but there is no way on earth am I having a pay freeze or pay cut. Just isn't going to happen lol. Im kind of fortunate that I "don't need" to work much more than 2 days a week so i suppose it is "easy" for me to say. But I have been like this since I came out of my apprenticeship. I always made sure I got my wage increases in line with inflation at least. I like my job but I am not a fan of doing it for love.
Even as a grubby subby I teamed up so we could negotiate together and get each other on the better jobs.

I have increased my prices by more than 10% in the last year. I know it's different if you are an employed electrician rather than a sole trader BUT I would say that the current climate even in this recession the amount of work going on sparks could quite easily individually walk out and earn more elsewhere.
I mean it is easier if you are in a unionised workplace, but most of us are not really in that environment, but there is no way on earth am I having a pay freeze or pay cut. Just isn't going to happen lol. Im kind of fortunate that I "don't need" to work much more than 2 days a week so i suppose it is "easy" for me to say. But I have been like this since I came out of my apprenticeship. I always made sure I got my wage increases in line with inflation at least. I like my job but I am not a fan of doing it for love.
Even as a grubby subby I teamed up so we could negotiate together and get each other on the better jobs.

That's pretty much my way of looking at work- if unhappy, move on.

Reply to More small traders to be dragged into VAT in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock