Discuss mould in bathroom in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a mould problem in two houses belonging to a landlord. Both have had a referb of sorts and both have installed a manrose 25w in-line centrifugal fan which I think may not be powerful enough. The rooms are approximately 2.5m lxdxh and have no windows or natural ventilation. One of the fans has been on a humidistat control for about 4 months and as I am aware has not turned off yet. The tenants have been advised to deep clean and remove all items that can harbour mould spores. Any advice much appreciated

if you have an outside wall, bash a hole and fit a vent.

I'd always use a timer fan, switched with the lights over a humidistat. Never had much faith in them.

what kind of building are we talking about?

If it is a concrete pre-fab which has been 'modernised' by that I mean central heating & double glazing then mould will appear.

Ventilation may not help that situation - having lived in a house with those problems I would recommend a bulldozer.

but how can you live in a bulldozer? sleep in the scoop?

You may find that the extract ventilation is not enough if the rooms are not adequately heated, you would also need to know the extract ventilation rate achieved by the fan, the wattage is not a good guide to the rate of air flow.
As you seem to have persistent problems then a professional assessment of the ventilation, usage, and air flow may be needed.
Is there a gap in the entry door sufficient to allow the air to flow through the room or is the room sealed when closed?

You could check they are NOT leaving the door open during or after showering and make sure any airvent holes are covered up or moist air will not be removed as air takes the easiest route. The only place air should enter is under the door at the most.

Sounds like the plaster/walls could be damp as well, would be an idea to probe them with a damp meter if you can lay your hands on one.

Problem with mould is, once it gets a hold there's no real easy way of getting rid of it short of knock all the plaster off and running a dehumidifier for a few weeks which is not ideal.

What they need is a big bottle of bleach, a pair of decent rubber gloves and a mask - and then give every surface a good going over.

Don't mess with anything other than good old bleach!

Assuming a damp issue check for the obvious such as rising damp in walls or leaking plumbing in walls or above ceiling etc

You say there is a fan installed. The first 3 questions would be;

I the fan capable of moving between 10 and 12 times the volume of the bathroom per hour?
Is there a vent in the bathroom door for replacement air (make-up air) to enter?
Where is the fan discharging the humid air?

The extraction rate is 110m3/hr, as I am aware the bathrooms have been well cleaned with bleach and the doors are left open after showering. The main problem is two teenage daughters! Will a more powerful extractor do any good? How about a 4in dia vent in the door?

What they need is a big bottle of bleach, a pair of decent rubber gloves and a mask - and then give every surface a good going over.Don't mess with anything other than good old bleach!
Good old Domestos will shift it , but you need to get the air changes sorted as has been said ; and put the timer on max lol. Seriously though heat and air flow has to be considered, if it's a typical let the house could soaking with damp as has been suggested.Call manrose and give them the dimensions of the rooms an the will tell you the air flow you need.again.

To late again b/band dropped out

Change the manrose for an airflow, xpelair or ventaxia.
Then fit Positive Input Ventilation (not into the bathroom directly), along with the bleach session should stop it from re-occuring.

Yep is the fan big enough and how long is the duct if its 1.5m or longer then you need centrifugal over axial also the fans take air out of the room is there a vent for fresh air to come in or a vent in the door is some old houses you could get Top Cats wallet in the space under the door.

One last point and please dont tell me I am racist I do repairs in rental properties and some of the tenants from the Indian sub continent have a LOT of bother with damp as the seem to do a lot of steam cooking throughout the day plus they will not and I mean not open a window or switch a fan on as it is toooooo cold in this country and tooooo expensive for electricity I have tried to explain that it is a culture problem and that they need to let the property breathe but to no avial

Guy i used to work with, said he had this problem in his bathroom until he fitted a heater in there. Turns it on for a few minutes after showering to dry the moist air up

The extraction rate is 110m3/hr, as I am aware the bathrooms have been well cleaned with bleach and the doors are left open after showering. The main problem is two teenage daughters! Will a more powerful extractor do any good? How about a 4in dia vent in the door?
110m3/hr meets the minimum spec but if there is a lot of moisture generation then this may not be enough, however as said in other posts if the problem is continuous then look for other causes as well.
you only need a fairly small vent in the door for air flow, but it may also be worth looking at the likely air flow through the room if the door and fan are close together it may not clear the room.

Guy i used to work with, said he had this problem in his bathroom until he fitted a heater in there. Turns it on for a few minutes after showering to dry the moist air up

Yep, best way to keep the moist air moving is to keep the room warm.

Need to check for obvious water leaks first but heating the room will def help.

I've installed underfloor heating in several mould infested places, works a treat every time. Gives you a bitta work too :)

Reply to mould in bathroom in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock