Discuss mould in bathroom in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Guy i used to work with, said he had this problem in his bathroom until he fitted a heater in there. Turns it on for a few minutes after showering to dry the moist air up

I don't think this can be understated, as has already been said. Many properties I have been to have had problems with damp and mould due to inadequate heating.

The extraction rate is 110m3/hr, as I am aware the bathrooms have been well cleaned with bleach and the doors are left open after showering. The main problem is two teenage daughters! Will a more powerful extractor do any good? How about a 4in dia vent in the door?

I would be careful where the extraction rate figure comes from. Usually the manufacturers figure on the box is for the fan in free-air, I've seen fans without ducting that are 25% short of the stated air movement figures as soon as you clip the cover on. If there's a decent length of duct installed I would actually take a velocity measurement at the fan or the discharge louvre and work out the volume from that. I'm still thinking it's probably a combination of undersized fan, and maybe poor provision for make-up air.

I would also actually run the shower and see how much it mists, we had a mildew problem in one of our ensuite bathrooms that was caused by a badly designed shower head causing fine mist that left the whole room drenched.

Evening Mike the Sparky. I have some rentals on my books, agreed with all previous threads.
Private tenants are always struggling and cannot have the heat on/up.
Windows are never opened. You've got to do your best on extraction.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
I would be careful where the extraction rate figure comes from. Usually the manufacturers figure on the box is for the fan in free-air, I've seen fans without ducting that are 25% short of the stated air movement figures as soon as you clip the cover on. If there's a decent length of duct installed I would actually take a velocity measurement at the fan or the discharge louvre and work out the volume from that. I'm still thinking it's probably a combination of undersized fan, and maybe poor provision for make-up air.

What he said.

It is the actual extract that you are achieving that is the key not the fan rating. 10 air changes/hour minimum I would recommend. This fan , if acieving the stated extract rate is still only achieving 7 ac/hr. After ductwork losses and struggling for makeup air probably a lot less.

Also air movement should be considered. In this case all that is practical is to look at fan extract position in relation to the make up air from (I assume) the bottom of the door.

Yep is the fan big enough and how long is the duct if its 1.5m or longer then you need centrifugal over axial also the fans take air out of the room is there a vent for fresh air to come in or a vent in the door is some old houses you could get Top Cats wallet in the space under the door.

One last point and please dont tell me I am racist I do repairs in rental properties and some of the tenants from the Indian sub continent have a LOT of bother with damp as the seem to do a lot of steam cooking throughout the day plus they will not and I mean not open a window or switch a fan on as it is toooooo cold in this country and tooooo expensive for electricity I have tried to explain that it is a culture problem and that they need to let the property breathe but to no avial

As oldtimer has mentioned one of the main problems with ducted extracts, is the length of duct the fan is expected push the humid air through. Add a couple or more bends, especially any tight'ish bends and your problems are magnified no end!!!

As oldtimer has mentioned one of the main problems with ducted extracts, is the length of duct the fan is expected push the humid air through. Add a couple or more bends, especially any tight'ish bends and your problems are magnified no end!!!
yep...straight runs (where possible) for ducts.....you can have a max of two 45* bends for 100MM ducting...i think thats what it is anyway

I had gone through the post. Many equipments are available for cleaning the mould in bathroom,actually It is one of the severe problem for many of them, but there is a best solution is there. Generally. water a little bleach down & spray it, like our bathroom needs more ventilation. Please produce some more attachments about the topic for view detail information.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to mould in bathroom in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock