Discuss Moving a light fitting cost? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to find out an average price on how much you guys charge to move a light fitting? Property is less than 2 miles away, upstairs bathroom fitting to be moved, loft is accesible.

50 notes plus travel costs at HMRC rates for me and a Mate plus materials and VAT.

Last edited:
£30 an hour plus materials. Will also be dependant on state of existing wiring and whether existing light fitting is in ok to be re-used. Plus you’ve got testing and special location issues as it’s a bathroom. Is circuit RCD protected? London rates also likely to be much higher.

This is the trouble with these little jobs if you cost them up properly, many customers will be horrified then have a go at it themselves or employ the local handyman/bodger.
At worst it would require a JB in the loft if the existing cabling wouldn't reach the new position and could all be done in half an hour or so with good and uncluttered access above. So unless it became troublesome I'd do it for £30, generally these things lead to bigger jobs + recommendations, makes good sense in the long run.

I don’t get my tools out for less than £50+vat for a quick 10-20 min job changing a socket etc. Generally it’s £60+vat minimum though for anything that takes longer than 20-30 mins up to around an hour.

And do you get plenty of these little jobs ?

I get a couple a week probably. I don’t really want them to be honest other than to maybe win a future customer.

There’s no profit in doing them for under £60 really imo. You can do maybe 4 a day when you think of time to arrange getting access/driving time and time to invoice/getting tools in and out etc. I’m better off doing a job for the day and charging £250ish and not messing around with tools in and out and using up gallons of diesel driving around.

My situation is different to others on here as I’m already well established in my local area with a client base that is verging on too large for me to deal with currently anyway. If I was trying to build up a client base I’d likely do them slightly cheaper. £30 to scramble around in someone’s loft moving a light is a mugs game imo though.

I'm in exactly the same position with all but too much work to cope with, but with little jobs like this I'd do it on the way home from earning a proper days money so it's a little bonus [albeit for giving up a bit of time] and generates goodwill for the future.

Reply to Moving a light fitting cost? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net