Discuss Moving db with no cpc in lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Replaced a db on a tt system, but moved it about 1m.
All circuits were required on rcbo.
So I've extended cables.
Now one lighting circuit has no earth.
Obliviousy I know existing it's ok to have no earth if class 2 fittings, relevant sticker notices in place. BUT because I've worked on circuit by extending were having debate at work.
To me it's safer now as on rcbo.
BUT other spark says if cables weren't extended he be happy but because I've extended then it needs earth at least to first point, which seem daft to me.
Any clarification on point.
Thanks

My 20p worth - it is safer now but you've needed to alter that circuit and so it needs to meet regs.

Further thought - by regulation does the entire altered circuit need to meet current regs or just the extended part? Similar to adding an outlet with surface cabling and providing the RCD at the new outlet.

Hi Simon, in the real world that most of us live sometimes the customer just cannot afford a re wire.
This is a big problem in the domestic installation world.
In industrial and commercial I would say stick to letter of law ( non statutory).
At end of day it's safer. Just make lots of notes on certs to cover arse.

Hi Simon, in the real world that most of us live sometimes the customer just cannot afford a re wire.
This is a big problem in the domestic installation world.
In industrial and commercial I would say stick to letter of law ( non statutory).
At end of day it's safer. Just make lots of notes on certs to cover arse.
It is commercial, old out house type building, customer says never use it but wants it connecting.
Also 16a 3ph socket without 30ma rcd, but he's acement it's fine as now got 100ma up front. BUT I'm going to write on cert that he's happy without 30ma on 3 ph socket.

It is commercial, old out house type building, customer says never use it but wants it connecting.
Also 16a 3ph socket without 30ma rcd, but he's acement it's fine as now got 100ma up front. BUT I'm going to write on cert that he's happy without 30ma on 3 ph socket.

If the no cpc circuit in question is for an unused outbuilding I would have thought an easy rewire.
There is no exception for dwellings for additional protection for sockets. You can't just write on the cert "I have deviated from the regulations because the customer said so"

Now one lighting circuit has no earth.
Obliviousy I know existing it's ok to have no earth if class 2 fittings, relevant sticker notices in place.

It's not OK, and it is not compliant with bs7671. The idea that a sticker and an RCD makes it all OK was dreamed up by the esc as an absolute last resort for exceptional circumstances.

Reply to Moving db with no cpc in lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock