Discuss MR WET PANTS IS NOW PLAYING AT BEING A SPARKY in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

JOURNEYMAN

-
Arms
Reaction score
I received a call yesterday evening from one of my regular customers requesting that I attend a ground floor rental flat that he owns to check the electrical installation which had received yet another soaking as the flat above had another leak from a newly fitted bathroom. Apparently the ground floor flat bathroom light was flickering when in the off position and the bathroom extract fan was continuously running so I immediately called the ground floor tenant, instructed her to switch off the affected lighting and fan circuit via the mcb at the fuse board until I arrived later to check out the issues. This she duly did.
Shortly after my call however, the so called plumber who fitted the new bathroom in the flat above, turned up and stopped the leak and then went downstairs to the ground floor flat and told the tenant he could fix the electrics and supposedly "fixed" the flickering bathroom light and extract fan and left the circuit on declaring that it was now safe. He left no contact details, no paperwork to say what he had done nor used any test equipment to check cables etc.
As I live an hour from the property, I arrived unfortunately after he had gone and after catching up with the ground floor tenant on what had happened carried out checks on all of the lighting, accessories, extract fan, cables, etc. and any other electrical items within the vicinity and found the hall globe light full of water, hall and bathroom light switches soaking wet. Needless to say Mr. Wet Pants left the place in a worse condition and less safe than when he arrived.
I spent well over an hour checking everything was dry, tested and safe and before leaving I asked the tenant why she'd let the plumber carry out electrical works even though I was on my way, to which she replied that it said on the side of his van that he was a plumber and electrician and she thought he knew what he was doing as he reckoned he could fix the electrics! Unbelievable!

I received a call yesterday evening from one of my regular customers requesting that I attend a ground floor rental flat that he owns to check the electrical installation which had received yet another soaking as the flat above had another leak from a newly fitted bathroom. Apparently the ground floor flat bathroom light was flickering when in the off position and the bathroom extract fan was continuously running so I immediately called the ground floor tenant, instructed her to switch off the affected lighting and fan circuit via the mcb at the fuse board until I arrived later to check out the issues. This she duly did.
Shortly after my call however, the so called plumber who fitted the new bathroom in the flat above, turned up and stopped the leak and then went downstairs to the ground floor flat and told the tenant he could fix the electrics and supposedly "fixed" the flickering bathroom light and extract fan and left the circuit on declaring that it was now safe. He left no contact details, no paperwork to say what he had done nor used any test equipment to check cables etc.
As I live an hour from the property, I arrived unfortunately after he had gone and after catching up with the ground floor tenant on what had happened carried out checks on all of the lighting, accessories, extract fan, cables, etc. and any other electrical items within the vicinity and found the hall globe light full of water, hall and bathroom light switches soaking wet. Needless to say Mr. Wet Pants left the place in a worse condition and less safe than when he arrived.
I spent well over an hour checking everything was dry, tested and safe and before leaving I asked the tenant why she'd let the plumber carry out electrical works even though I was on my way, to which she replied that it said on the side of his van that he was a plumber and electrician and she thought he knew what he was doing as he reckoned he could fix the electrics! Unbelievable!
This sort of thing has been going on for ages Mate nothing new and until the powers that be search out these charlatans it will continue I'm afraid, sorry for you bad experience, hope it's all sorted now.

If the guy who did the plumbing upstairs, cured the problems downstairs, I think it's fair to assume he has much prior experience in this!
So, yes...trust the bodger, cos he has bodged so often he knows exactly what to do!
It's called "Multi-trades!"

Oh the joys of part p qualification!

Another one I keep finding is the builder's "electrician" doing cu changes. No paper work, open it up and its like a rat's nest, loose terminals and no labels. Customer proudly shows me it, " No need to test anything, its all just been done" any paperwork? " Err......"
yeah the paperwork they end up showing you is the sticker sheet..

guy i work with dismantled and fitted a shower he thought was off, turns out it was live the whole time, his tester probe wasnt plugged in correctly, (i know not correct procedure blah blah should have used proving unit blah blah) but mistakes happen, and had he not had insulated tools that day i may have had to call an ambulance for him

Reply to MR WET PANTS IS NOW PLAYING AT BEING A SPARKY in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net