Discuss Need advice Plz in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

Holly Ashford

Hi
I'm not an electrician so would value any advice.
I live in road where they are blocks of 4 terrace houses, every 4th house has a main electric box by the front door, each house still has an individual meter, but all 4 ultimately go into this one box. Now my electric bill is high i'm paying £120 a month which is almost double most people I have asked, so I rang my supplier who said they didn't have a clue what this box was outside my neighbours they agree my bill is very high usage but said its upto me to find out what this box is????? Now heres the thing could this neighbour be running his electric through mine via this box, I have never seen inside it but was told by another neighbour that each contain 4 individual boxes for each house, I also no that a friend of his works for a well known electric company and that this person did gain access to the box for some unknown reason.
Any help would be appreciated

Welcome aboard first off.
Do you have any idea what this "box" is? I doubt you would but it's worth asking. I'd advise against going poking around in there even if you could gain access as I'd hope if it's a junction box, it would be locked to prevent the uninitiated getting in there. £120 a month does seem excessive.
It would probably be a good idea to consult an electrician in your area, post up your rough location and one of us will be near you.

cheers, I'm in Birmingham, trouble is this neighbour has built a porch now so the box is housed in there :( so would need to gain access some how, do you have any idea what this box is, these houses were orginally council houses i dont no why they choose to put one box per 4 i suppose money saving :(

If your electricity supply is diverted through a property under someone else's control, and particularly if there are protective devices at this location then it is very plausible that someone could have tampered with your supply.

The fact that your supplier shows no interest and places the responsibility upon yourself to investigate is pure negligence in my opinion.

Are you on good speaking terms with this neighbour where the box is housed? I would advise, as others, that you get an electrician over to investigate for you.

Well I believed we were friends, he did tell me that his electric mate had done something to keep his bills low he's actually in prison at the minute not sure what for so its just his son there :( and yes i suppose we are on speaking terms

His mate had done something to keep his bills low??? sounds like a meter bypass job to me or maybe you're paying for his usage, no bloody wonder he's in the big house

As Tev said it is likely to be some kind of junction box/distribution Panel

Only hazzarding a guess here if you say that there is just one electric supply for 4 houses but then 4 individual meters, then the supply company will bring that supply into theirs box, and I guess there would be 4 individual fuses one for each house that goes to your meter.

This is guess work,

What you can do is .............take a meter reading at say 9am and turn your electric box off in your house at the main switch. Unplug everything, and turn your lights off, and go out for say 3 hours.

Come back and then take another meter reading, it should be the same as you when you turned everything off. If it is then fine, if it has gone up then call your supplier tell them what you did and tell them how much it went up, and ask them for a check meter

After you Switch your box back on, plug everything in and use everything as normal. In 5/6 hours again take a reading and see what you have used.

Then over the next week take a 24 hour reading at the same time each day and you will start to get an idea what is being used

no the electrician isn't in the big house my neighbour is, do you think he has got his running from mine then..a meter bypass

It's possible Holly but impossible for me to confirm from my settee in Geordieland, I know we have guys in Brum but I'm struggling to remember who. I think Imago is

I was right, Imago is in Brum. I've taken the liberty of sending him a PM alerting him to your thread, I'm sure he'll be in touch

Holly is the meter in your house or in this BOX.
If it's in the house, no amount of tampering in the box will make your bills higher.

If the meter is in the box, then it is possible someone else is using electricity thro' your meter.

If the meter IS in the box it must be accessable to each housholder so cannot be in someone elses locked property.
If it's not accesable the meter reader can't read it and you'll be getting estimated bills.
Does your reading on your bill show as estimated?

No my reading isn't estimated, I have a meter in my house, then next door and every 4th house has a box containing 4 individual electric supplies for the 4 houses this box is locked with one of those funny keys his friend has one of these keys as he works for a major supplier and he has accessed the box and done something as my neighbour told me he'd fixed it so his bills would be low

No my reading isn't estimated, I have a meter in my house, then next door and every 4th house has a box containing 4 individual electric supplies for the 4 houses this box is locked with one of those funny keys his friend has one of these keys as he works for a major supplier and he has accessed the box and done something as my neighbour told me he'd fixed it so his bills would be low

All sounds very suspicious to me Holly, I would want to go sniffing in that box.

Is it possible then that my meter could be dodgy? Before we moved in about 5 years ago my father in law had a card meter and was putting in about 10 quid a week, i no we burn alot more than he did but jesus it cant be that much more can it?

Reply to Need advice Plz in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock