Discuss Need to hire a power analyser in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I'm going to need to hire a power analyser in a few weeks that I can leave on site running and measuring for a couple of weeks.

Not sure if such a unit exists, but ideally it will be able to monitor the current loads on several different single phase circuits all at the same time, so that when the data is examined the total loadings can be considered in respect of how individual circuits / bits of kit have been behaving as they interact with each other.

Any suggestions welcome, both for units, sources for hire and likely costs.

R.

Hire company I use for this type of thing is cuthberton & laird.

To monitor several single phase circuits at a time could be difficult though unless you use a 3 phase unit then you could monitor 3 circuits.

Fluke 1735 is a good piece of kit that should do the job but I wouldn't know the hire price.

Sinta is right, you will have a big problem finding a unit to monitor several individual circuits!! They maybe available, but i've never seen or heard of them. I doubt very much if a 3 phase unit will be able to handle separate circuits either. These units are designed to monitor/record from the supply position, and many of the monitoring functions are based on calculation of what's being monitored over the 3 phases. So using on different circuits on a single phase supply will, if it works at all, be giving you results that i wouldn't like to rely on!! lol!!!

Your best bet, though expensive is hiring single phase units.... Depends a lot on what you want monitoring, as to the hire cost per unit.

That's also what I've been thinking - that simply using a 3ph unit as 3 x 1ph is not going to give reliable data. Metrel make a unit that they claim is '4 circuits', but I've not seen one other than on their website! I think I'll have a chat with their tech team and see if I can get one on demo for a few days.

Dranetz Power Xplorer PX5 power meter should do the job for you. Last one we hired was ÂŁ750 per week, and ÂŁ100 a week for the laptop (if you have an unmanaged laptop, you can install the software in it).

It is capable of monitoring 4 individual voltages and currents.

Dranetz - Power Monitoring Equipment: Power Xplorer PX5

Edit - You would need to add current transformers to the hire for this, those would be extra.

Last edited:

Reply to Need to hire a power analyser in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net