Discuss Never seen this before myself..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Baddegg

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Still new to this game just not seen this before..Got to install a small 2 way unit for a loft conversion so popped in today for a recce and found this, the incoming line and neutral splits before the meter and main fuse and goes through to next door?....
Never seen this before myself..... D57DD067-DE1D-49D0-81AA-885E00A3587E - EletriciansForums.netNever seen this before myself..... 01774B00-C83E-4BFC-950E-10A21835E66E - EletriciansForums.netNever seen this before myself..... 732AD7D0-71AF-436F-AB17-18E688E25869 - EletriciansForums.net
Got to love the wet pants as well, gas pipe right through the middle of the cupboard!

Pass through supply. Seen quite a few. Not quite like that granted, but still reasonably common round here.
Thanks Sc, I knew it was legal although rough round the edges it’s been done properly ish....not common round here at all got me scratching me head ? every day is a school day in this game

There was a guy on here a couple of weeks ago with a similar arrangement.
Wanted to know how he could disconnect his neighbors because they were annoying him.

It was not identical and I won’t explain exactly in case he reads this but it would have needed a dose of fairy dust.

Thread didn’t last long before being closed without his required answer!

Typically the ones I see round here are either an old cream metal service head with MICC in and out to the next one or a standard service head (of varying ages) with two cables in the bottom. Much cleaner and nicer looking that that example you have :)

I have had one site where I believe the other installation had a realtively bad fault... certainly nothing on the installation I was working on, but I was getting some interesting voltage readings between L-N-E, unfortunately they declined my offer of a free check.

Shared or looped supply. The nest street to me is all like that with one supply cable for every two houses on the terrace. They are terminated better than that though with proper service heads rather than just a heat shrink breakout boot, which is what that looks like.

That TNS earthing is a real botch up....especially that connection to next door. You'll need to call the DNO to sort it out.

Last edited:
That TNS earthing is a real botch up....especially the connection to next door. You'll need to call the DNO to sort it out.
Was going to contact regarding the main earth connection anyways so will inform of that as well, the fuse carrier is also floating, Ze measured at 0.08 though....
[automerge]1575141075[/automerge]
That TNS earthing is a real botch up....especially that connection to next door. You'll need to call the DNO to sort it out.
The earthing was the thing that was bothering me the most as if you were working next door how would ever verify it? Visually and Parallel paths etc ..

Last edited:
Tell them it's serious.
I found this a couple of years ago...I think I posted photos.
Two supplies through one really big old terraced house, the second one going through the wall to next door. They were out the same day to sort it. I was testing in the second one, the supply coming through the wall, as shown.
Never seen this before myself..... photo 1, 137.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
Never seen this before myself..... photo 5, 137.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
Never seen this before myself..... photo 3, 137.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

The supplies came in to the first house, via cellar wall entry, in capping and casing to a double fused head, one for each property. Then tails through a piece of conduit in the wall.

Never seen this before myself..... photo 6, 139.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
Never seen this before myself..... photo 11.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

I couldn't get to the actual entry point at the other end of the C+C because of problems getting entry to next door for any length of time.
Done really well, originally.

Attachments

• Never seen this before myself..... photo 9, 139.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    photo 9, 139.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
AM I right in thinking you are in a WPD area for the dno @Baddegg ??
Have come across something very similar at some old miners cottages out Radstock /Midsomer Norton way. Called up WPD and explained my concerns they sent an engineer out to take a look, was literally 2 roads away from the depot mind!! later that week they swapped the cut out for a nice new TNS one in both properties, albeit still a looped supply but done a lot tidier. I find them quite good with these sort of things as they rely on sparks to call in the poor cut outs to upgrade them as over time they will do them all but need ot prioritise.

I think I’ve got one on Monday’s job. Posted this photo on the “good morning” thread already.
If you look at the incoming cable, there’s an outgoing cable beside it, and tails supplying the cutout fuse for this property.

Never seen this before myself..... B065DF35-7536-4C01-BA17-C96E8E6F5065 - EletriciansForums.net

I think I’ve got one on Monday’s job. Posted this photo on the “good morning” thread already.
If you look at the incoming cable, there’s an outgoing cable beside it, and tails supplying the cutout fuse for this property.

View attachment 54221
A lot of the older fuseboard as shown in your image above have little asbestos based fibre pads in the back of the fuses. I was told once via a companies method of work book that you should wear a respirator even if it might seem a little OTT for such small amount as if the fuses have blown at various times there could be loose asbestos fibres in the back. not much but mere mention of asbestos gets a lot of companies running for the hills

A lot of the older fuseboard as shown in your image above have little asbestos based fibre pads in the back of the fuses. I was told once via a companies method of work book that you should wear a respirator even if it might seem a little OTT for such small amount as if the fuses have blown at various times there could be loose asbestos fibres in the back. not much but mere mention of asbestos gets a lot of companies running for the hills

Thanks, @Gavin John Hyde im aware of asbestos in those old boards.

I found this a couple of years ago...I think I posted photos.
Who wired that meter?! What a mess!
[automerge]1575202898[/automerge]
Thanks, @Gavin John Hyde im aware of asbestos in those old boards.
Looking at the spare cartridge fuse clips at the top, this one probably doesn't have asbestos in it.

I'll just put this here:
https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/internet/en/help-and-advice/documents/looped_services.pdf

I was just looking into the looped service issue I have in my own property - supply comes into my house and then looped to my neighbours. Problem is their cable runs up underside of my stair and under the floorboards of my house into their property. If I wanted to carry out major renovations like repositioning the stairs, I can see their cable needing disconnecting. What then! I envision major issues and irate neighbours. :confounded:

I'll just put this here:
https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/internet/en/help-and-advice/documents/looped_services.pdf

I was just looking into the looped service issue I have in my own property - supply comes into my house and then looped to my neighbours. Problem is their cable runs up underside of my stair and under the floorboards of my house into their property. If I wanted to carry out major renovations like repositioning the stairs, I can see their cable needing disconnecting. What then! I envision major issues and irate neighbours. :confounded:
If you've anything to pay, tell them they pay half. It's fed via your house so something tells me your holding the aces.

Reply to Never seen this before myself..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock