Discuss New aerial point in a flat. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've never done any aerial installs or an data cabling before so bare with....

I have a customer who lives in a block of flats, she has 1 aerial socket in the lounge but she also wants 1 in her bedroom, directly above the lounge. Am I able to just extend the socket in the lounge by adding a splitter in running a new cable?

What about an AV sender, are they any good?

Thanks!

type of splitter is your choice, personally if its going to be put out the way and left to gather dust i would use f type connectors / splitters. you get less problems with them in my experience as some of the co-axial connectors i have had recently have been ---- poor. with the screw bit on f types it also helps as its screwed in and less likely to come loose and loose signal

Agree, Gavin...but he's sending some coax 10 feet up, so if he has a reasonable signal...
but yes, F type are far superior.

Hi guys, I've never done any aerial installs or an data cabling before so bare with....

I have a customer who lives in a block of flats, she has 1 aerial socket in the lounge but she also wants 1 in her bedroom, directly above the lounge. Am I able to just extend the socket in the lounge by adding a splitter in running a new cable?

What about an AV sender, are they any good?

Thanks!

A splitter will add about 4dB loss. So first you need to measure the signal strength to see if it can stand that. ( You do have a signal meter and do know what level you need don't you?)
Basically aerial installations should be done by aerial installers, not sparks, who generally know little about the subject.

AV senders connect to a device such as a DVD player to enable its output to be seen elsewhere. They do no add an extra aerial socket.

Reply to New aerial point in a flat. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock