JIB Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) New JIB grade 'Registered Electrician'

Discuss New JIB grade 'Registered Electrician' in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
What do you all make of the new JIB grade that they are to introduce with the new 18th edition?
'ECS registered electrician' is what they are calling it apparently to replace gold card?

Have I heard this correctly?

What are your thoughts?

It's not a grade.

JIB to launch new ECS Registered Electrician status - http://www.jib.org.uk/jib-to-launch-new-ecs-registered-electrician-status

The JIB is introducing a new Registered Electrician status for electricians who hold ECS cards in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Operated via the ECS card scheme, the new status will be available to all ECS Installation and Maintenance Electrician cardholders who are qualified in the current (17th) edition of the BS7671 Wiring Regulations.

Registered Electrician status will be operated on a voluntary basis; those who do not wish to take part will remain within the existing ECS gold card structure.

This new status has been introduced by the JIB to raise standards across the industry and recognise electricians who are qualified to NVQ Level 3 and the current British Standard for electrical installation.

All eligible electricians will be notified of the opportunity to become an ECS Registered Electrician in October once the scheme launches. Applicants must sign up to a Code of Professional Practice, which will include rules on working professionally, competently and responsibly, and accept that they will be subject to an investigation and disciplinary procedure if there is an alleged breach of the Code.

A free of charge virtual card showing their Registered status, downloadable to a smart phone, will be offered to all applicants.

“The JIB wants to recognise ECS Electricians who are qualified to the current edition of BS7671 and are prepared to adopt the Code of Professional Practice,” said Steve Brawley, JIB Chief Executive. “We will be working to provide access to affordable training in the 18th edition of BS7671 for our card holders when this edition is published next year and we will encourage as many as possible to secure this qualification and become Registered Electricians.”

Paul McNaughton, ECA Chief Negotiator, said: "Employers fully support the introduction of the ECS Registered Electrician because it will help raise standards within the industry. This will also provide additional recognition of the professional status of an electrician within the electrotechnical and engineering services industry."

Bernard McAulay, Unite the Union National Officer, added: “Unite the Union supports this positive development for the reason that it gives fully qualified electricians the status which their craft skills and technical knowledge deserve.”

Newell McGuiness, Managing Director of SELECT, said: “SELECT supports our JIB colleagues and their endeavours to raise industry standards. However, it should be noted that the ECS Registered Electrician status will not be available in Scotland at this time because SELECT and Unite have been in discussions with the Scottish Government on Regulation of the Profession of Electrician. These discussions have been positive and have reached an advanced stage with reasonable prospects for success.”

its optional so why bother.. also its a virtual card you can show on your phone, not even a proper plastic card... unless you are working on sites or in industry your typical domestic customer couldn't care less what scheme or badge you have, all they care about is the job is cheap as possible, it works, its safe and they get any certificates they need. beyond that they are not too fussed.

I've read all that blurb above and don't get the intention of this scheme. If it is additional and separate to a grading, what is the point of it ?

I believe it's totally pointless!
Just a new way to make money from a large amount of electricians that are not and have no need to join a scheme. It's targeting employed or sub contracting electricians that require JIB grading in order to prove competence to their employer and to gain access to construction sites ECS/CSCS.
I presume the privilege of 'registered' status will come at at financial cost?

It doesn't mention anything about schemes - it is available to those with a valid JIB Gold Card. There is no mention in that article of a charge for this, so I'm not sure whether there is or not nor what the exact intention is with this.

Ok, I see now.
At present we have Electricians who have JIB/ECS cards who are members of the JIB.
We also have Electricians who have JIB/ECS cards who are not members of the JIB.
This is aimed at those who have the card because they require the ECS but are not members

Ok, I see now.
At present we have Electricians who have JIB/ECS cards who are members of the JIB.
We also have Electricians who have JIB/ECS cards who are not members of the JIB.
This is aimed at those who have the card because they require the ECS but are not members
I'm not sure what you mean. ECS cardholders are not members of the JIB - JIB members are firms who have joined the JIB. JIB cards are available regardless of whether the applicant works for a JIB member company or not.

What isn't clear is what the purpose is of this in addition to having a JIB/ECS card. Perhaps unlike with site requirements where the card will be checked this is to show others through the smartphone app that the operative is a graded Electrician. As I stated earlier, I'm not entirely sure. I'll wait until I get the information in my invitation from the JIB this month (which according to that article all JIB card holders will get during October).

As it stands the JB rules apply both to registered companies and their employees.
The rules do not apply to those who are not employed by JIB registered companies.

As a self employed Electrician, I hold a JIB card simply because I need the ECS.
I do not have to comply with the JIB rules on conduct or workmanship, even if I work as a sub contractor for a JIB registered company.
By becoming 'registered' I will have to comply with JIB rules and will be subject to disciplinary actions if I don't.

What disciplinary actions ? Like my previous employer who was NICEIC approved contractor who did not want to comply the NICEIC could do nothing to make him go back and put right after I left he was removed from roll and joined Napit.

Who Knows?
Applicants must sign up to a Code of Professional Practice, which will include rules on working professionally, competently and responsibly, and accept that they will be subject to an investigation and disciplinary procedure if there is an alleged breach of the Code.

Reply to New JIB grade 'Registered Electrician' in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net