Discuss New pole barn wiring help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

skdill

DIY
Reaction score
Hey all!

Just got a new pole barn installed and have a few questions regarding getting power to it. Don't worry! I am planning on hiring a professional I just need to get a game plan for the budget and expectations.

I will start with some basics.
200A main panel on my house with 9 open spaces
Approx. 190 wire feet from 200A panel to location of box in the pole barn
Feel free to ask any additional questions. I am sure I am forgetting something. I can supply pictures of current panel if this would help.

List of things I want to power (This is a wish list to help future-proof myself)
VoltageAmp Draw220V Option
1.5 hp Pool Pump11012x
1.75 hp Table Saw 11014x
2 hp Compressor11014
Mini Split11010x
Miter Saw 11020
Floor QuickJack11015
Dust Collector11012x
Router11010
LED Garage Lights1107
2 Garage Door Opener (Each)1106
Air filter1101

Questions I have

Is this even possible with my current 200A setup? If not, what amp service do I need to upgrade to?

What gauge wire do I need to make this run of almost 200 feet?

In Ohio (or similar area) how deep does this wire need to be buried?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

Hey all!

Just got a new pole barn installed and have a few questions regarding getting power to it. Don't worry! I am planning on hiring a professional I just need to get a game plan for the budget and expectations.

I will start with some basics.
200A main panel on my house with 9 open spaces
Approx. 190 wire feet from 200A panel to location of box in the pole barn
Feel free to ask any additional questions. I am sure I am forgetting something. I can supply pictures of current panel if this would help.

List of things I want to power (This is a wish list to help future-proof myself)
VoltageAmp Draw220V Option
1.5 hp Pool Pump11012x
1.75 hp Table Saw 11014x
2 hp Compressor11014
Mini Split11010x
Miter Saw 11020
Floor QuickJack11015
Dust Collector11012x
Router11010
LED Garage Lights1107
2 Garage Door Opener (Each)1106
Air filter1101

Questions I have

Is this even possible with my current 200A setup? If not, what amp service do I need to upgrade to?

What gauge wire do I need to make this run of almost 200 feet?

In Ohio (or similar area) how deep does this wire need to be buried?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!
Since you have a 200 amp panel with plenty of spaces left, my suggestion would be to install a 100 amp main lug only panel in your pole barn with enough spaces to power up everything that you have on your list. You will need to install a 100 amp double pole GFCI breaker in your main panel as per code to feed your barn. As far as the wire you will need # 3 wire with a ground cable which should be direct burial approved copper cable and as far as depth it needs to be 24 inches deep. Good luck with your project

Since you have a 200 amp panel with plenty of spaces left, my suggestion would be to install a 100 amp main lug only panel in your pole barn with enough spaces to power up everything that you have on your list. You will need to install a 100 amp double pole GFCI breaker in your main panel as per code to feed your barn. As far as the wire you will need # 3 wire with a ground cable which should be direct burial approved copper cable and as far as depth it needs to be 24 inches deep. Good luck with your project

Thanks so much Megawatt!

This is 3 AWG wire and not 3/0 wire correct? Where do you buy this? I am only finding 6 AWG UF-B.

Message me your Paypal or Venmo and will send you some money for your answer.

Thanks so much Megawatt!

This is 3 AWG wire and not 3/0 wire correct? Where do you buy this? I am only finding 6 AWG UF-B.

Message me your Paypal or Venmo and will send you some money for your answer.
I’m not helping you to get paid. This forum is here to help people like yourself get answers for electrical gyrations. Having said that you need 6/3 copper with a ground. Home Depot or Lowe’s sells it by the foot and yes it has to be UF cable for direct burial. Good luck my friend

I’m not helping you to get paid. This forum is here to help people like yourself get answers for electrical gyrations. Having said that you need 6/3 copper with a ground. Home Depot or Lowe’s sells it by the foot and yes it has to be UF cable for direct burial. Good luck my friend
Dag gone spell checker. It’s to help you with your electrical questions

@Megawatt

Quick question - One of the the quotes I got from an electrician recommended an Aluminum wire instead of copper? Any thoughts?

Also I can not find a 100 amp double pole GFCI breaker for a Siemens panel (P4040B1200). The biggest I could find was 60 amps. What should I do?

(Sorry... that was 2 questions)

@Megawatt

Quick question - One of the the quotes I got from an electrician recommended an Aluminum wire instead of copper? Any thoughts?

Also I can not find a 100 amp double pole GFCI breaker for a Siemens panel (P4040B1200). The biggest I could find was 60 amps. What should I do?

(Sorry... that was 2 questions)
First off I always prefer copper over aluminum but you can use aluminum if you desire and buy the 60 breaker because on a temporary pole you will never even pull 30 amps since it just for plugging in drills, saws etc. if that breaker is not part of the panel you will need a tie down kit. If you have trouble finding it go to your local electrical parts house and buy one. Good luck my friend and if you need anything else please let me know.

First off I always prefer copper over aluminum but you can use aluminum if you desire and buy the 60 breaker because on a temporary pole you will never even pull 30 amps since it just for plugging in drills, saws etc. if that breaker is not part of the panel you will need a tie down kit. If you have trouble finding it go to your local electrical parts house and buy one. Good luck my friend and if you need anything else please let me know.
One more thing is when you go to the parts house buy an arc flash sticker to install on the panel cover which is by code.

Reply to New pole barn wiring help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock