Discuss New to the trade! Any advice? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm after some advice as a mature student.

I have just received my ecs labourers card, and have been given some weekend work while I transition into a new career.

I'm currently studying my 2365 lvl2, with the aim to start my 2365 lvl3 in September along with the new 18th edition regs.

Can anyone with experience offer any advice on the path I should take to full qualified status?

Cheers

Only that it's hard work and that there's no substitute for experience, there'll be others who can give you advice on what path to take but you need to be able to graft and keep an open mind as the trade evolves all the time and you can always learn a new or better way. Generally if you take the time to do things properly and have pride in your work it's a good trade but it's not a fast route to easy money, far from it. Also depends what part of the industry you want to go in as it's pretty broad.

Thanks robd.

I am under no illusion, it will be a long time until I'm where I aim to be, and experience is what will matter the most along the way. I just hope that I don't take a wrong turn with my studying, ideally I would like to do some courses along side been on the tools.

QUOTE - [ I'm after some advice as a mature student. ].
Get out now! whilst you still have some sanity left !

:D

Where all quite balmy you know !
What did you do before !
What made you want to enter electrics ?

Hi all.

I'm after some advice as a mature student.

I have just received my ecs labourers card, and have been given some weekend work while I transition into a new career.

I'm currently studying my 2365 lvl2, with the aim to start my 2365 lvl3 in September along with the new 18th edition regs.

Can anyone with experience offer any advice on the path I should take to full qualified status?

Cheers

Welcome el davo. You say you’re studying level 2 2365, is that at college?

QUOTE - [ I'm after some advice as a mature student. ].
Get out now! whilst you still have some sanity left !

:D

Where all quite balmy you know !
What did you do before !
What made you want to enter electrics ?

I was, and still am for most of my time, in accounting and finance. I'm a very hands on person who got pushed into doing something I'm good at and not something I enjoy. I can't sit in an office for too much longer...I'll go insane!

I've always been interested in mechanics and any trade really, but it's only now that I have decided to take the plunge and peruse it.

The good thing about electrics is that it is a constant mental challenge,
So your always analyzing things in your head.
Not hard physically,
But can be mentally very demanding.
So get ready for some head aches !
And I don't mean the customers.

The good thing about electrics is that it is a constant mental challenge,
So your always analyzing things in your head.
Not hard physically,
But can be mentally very demanding.
So get ready for some head aches !
And I don't mean the customers.

Disagree with the not hard physically bit it depends what you're doing but some days I go home and I'm shot. You can go home filthy and knackered especially in domestic. Then if you're industrial you can be working with some pretty heavy stuff so I think if you're not reasonably fit you would struggle. As a rule I don't know too many out of shape sparkies.

Reply to New to the trade! Any advice? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net