Discuss newbie here in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

voltage

Hey all

New to the forum just saying hello to everyone.
I have a question i need to change a MCB on a consumer unit its quite old i think the make is square D so probs getting on for 15 plus yrs old ? not sure anyway ive managed to source a new 40 amp mcb breaker for the CU which is the same make square D lucky as i think these Square D MCBs are as rare as rocking horse s**t :D.

Now my question is as this installation is pretty old there is no main isolater in the line from the electricity company only the old fuse which i know you cant break and would not want to as its bad practice.

I had a shower fitted and the cable is 10mill the MCB is 30 amp at CU. The rating of the new shower is 8.5 kw so doing the math that is 8500 / 240 which gives me 35.41 amps so this would tell me i need a 40amp MCB.

Now if i just turn off main switch on CU obviously im still gonna have power coming form the meter tails so what is the best way of safely isolating the CU so i can take out the old 30amp MCB and replace it with the new 40amp MCB ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

if you turn of the cu then there will be no power on the busbar only at the feedin of main switch.
switch off check no voltage on outgoing and change mcb

Reply to newbie here in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hope you're all well . I've had ring door bell 2nd generation hardwired for 1.5 yrs... it was connected to transformer which is connected to the...
Replies
Views
Evening everyone . Currently looking at pricing a job up . It’s a hot tub supply . Outside socket with a few spare ways in an outdoor cu . 10mm...
Replies
Views
We have a room in the house that was the kitchen. That has been relocated to a different area, so the old kitchen has been sold off and the room...
Replies
Views
Please advise what I should test / check next. My usual qualified electrician who did all of the work here is in Ireland for 4 weeks and not...
Replies
Views
This from a while ago but reading about everyone elses problems tonight made me remember this one. The original job was the lights in a recent...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock