Discuss newbie looking for advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi im 32 and currently a decorator but fed up of it now so looking at being a sparkie. ive got a few mates who are sparkies themselves and been fortunate enough to have got a job with 2 of them self employed to a company just being there labourer.

eventually im hoping to train to become a sparkie and leave decorating behind. im going to be working away but only for 4 days every week they never work fridays. so what training route would people recommend? its been a long time since they trained so dont really know. any advice would be appreciated. cheers

ALL DEPENDS ON WHETHER YOU WANT TO BE A HOUSE BASHER OR A "PROPER" SPARKS.

FOR THE FORMER, THERE'S PLENTY OF SHORT COURSES AVAILABLE TO COMPLETE IN A MATTER OF WEEKS.

FOR THE LATTER, IT'S C&G 2365 FOLLOWED BY NVQ3 AND AM2. 2-4 YEARS, DAY RELEASE OR NIGHT SCHOOL.

bloody caps lock. why is it next to A, the 2nd most usd letter after E.?

im hoping to do the latter and get fully trained ive got a guaranteed 3-4 year working with them and i cant afford to take time off work. it will always be working away but like i say i will always be home on a friday. do i just contact my local college about training cos im presuming it will be a set day each week and if its not a friday im screwed.

these guys are in Manchester. if you can take 8 weeks off work for initial training, this is by far the fastest route to the level 3 nvq that I've come across. With the support of your mates, and depending on your ability and/or work ethic, you could in theory have a Gold Card inside a year.
NVQ Level 3 Electrical Training Course | Options Skills - Electrical, Gas & Plumbing - https://www.options-skills.co.uk/nvq-electrical-training-course/

Failing that, its the local college over 3-4 years. even if you go that route, it might be useful to do the practical part of a domestic installers course at the weekends before starting college. you might decide that you hate it! or it might give you some skills that get you a pay rise.

good luck

i had seen that and spoke to a guy from there the other day but i just cant afford to take 8 weeks off. ive got 3-4 years work with them so the college route seems the best way i think.

there is a carpet fitter on the job im on at the minute and he is using new trades career to do his and he says you wotk it round your job. but just cant see how learning online will work

there are probably other accelerated routes to the nvq. it'd be worth looking into. its also possible to do a part time domestic installer course and then jump onto an nvq route later. the advantage of that is that you get some experience and qualifications and possibly enough to warrant a pay rise. presumably the nvq course wouldn't start til september anyway.

also no offense, but its easy to say u have 3-4 years guaranteed work but that could change very fast. a post-brexit recession is a real possibility and the construction industry is always the first to get hit. actually, we're due a recession anyway cos historically theres a recession every 5-10 years.

my point is that it might not be a great idea to be totally dependent on your mates/employers. lots of guys never got to finish their nvq years ago cos they lost their jobs during the last recession. there are lots of threads on this forum from guys who this happened to and are now looking to get back into it and finish the nvq or become domestic installers.

Reply to newbie looking for advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock