NICEIC Certification Scheme NICEIC Scheme In Scotland?

Discuss NICEIC Scheme In Scotland? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nlbhoy

Hey guys,

I'm based in Scotland and recently joined the NICEIC, the only scheme available in Scotland
is the "Approved Contractor scheme".

I have my first assessment on the 9th of March, the inspectors name is Eddie Thomson.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on passing the assessment first time?

Or if any fellow sparks from Scotland have had any dealing with the same inspector?

Initially I was going to take him to 3 barn conversions on the same plot, but like most builds
this is running over and I doubt I'll be able to take him to any of those.

I have several smaller jobs such as alterations to ring mains and adding down lights etc.
Will this type of job be enough to assess me one?

Any help, tips or guidance would be appreciated.

I thought you also had a scheme called Select in Scotland as well as the NICEIC? I would give them a call tomorrow to see if the jobs you mentioned will satisfy the requirements of the assessment visit.

Last edited:
I had him for my last visit. Nice chap very open to answering questions and suggesting alternative ways of working/testing,whilst on the visits. As long as your jobs are up to scratch and you know the basics you will be ok.

I thought you also had a scheme called Select in Scotland as well as the NICEIC? I would give them a call tomorrow to see if the jobs you mentioned will satisfy the requirements of the assessment visit.
Yeah, Select is an option up here.

The main contractor I work with would prefer NICEIC though.

I had him for my last visit. Nice chap very open to answering questions and suggesting alternative ways of working/testing,whilst on the visits. As long as your jobs are up to scratch and you know the basics you will be ok.
Thanks gutterball.

I've got a couple of weeks to really brush up on anything I'm not sure on.

Also glad to know he's a nice guy... I'm sure most of them are but it's good to know
before hand.

I've got my assessment on the 24th March, mine is with a woman though! Think it should be straight forward enough, just need to make sure the jobs are all good to go, shouldn't be an issue either though!

Why does you main contractor seem to have a problem with Select? It is after all government approved.
They don't have a problem with select, but they do seem to prefer NIC.

NICEIC membership criteria happens to be easier for me to get into (less hoops for me) so it's a win win.

Yeah select is a bit of a pain I looked at them as well and you need to be an approved spark, couldn't be arsed with the hassle to go thru that when nic don't require it.

Yeah select is a bit of a pain I looked at them as well and you need to be an approved spark, couldn't be arsed with the hassle to go thru that when nic don't require it.
That's the same with me.

I was working away when night college for approved was on, my employer wouldn't let me attend.

I've never really needed it anyway as previous employer paid me approved rate anyway.

I went self employed pretty early on so was never with a company to get approved! Happy to go with NIC anyway tbh, shame Stroma isn't up here would go for the cheaper option!

I had to do three notifiable jobs for my NICEIC assessment all on different sites. Did you not receive a guide to help you pass first time when you paid for the assessment?
My advice is to just relax and take it as it comes. Don't be afraid to ask questions either, the guy I had really knew his stuff. You receive bonus points for making tea!

Haha access to tea is probably a tickbox on the contractor assessment. I think if they get the impression that you understand electricity is dangerous and why it's important we follow the regs and manufacturers data of what we install, then you can't go far wrong, as long as your knowledge on testing etc is there

Reply to NICEIC Scheme In Scotland? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock