Discuss no discrimination in sockets & lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have came across a problem where the sockets and lights are run on a same circuit and it's done in a way where the person have put probably junction boxes in the walls which are not accessible and only 1 cable is coming to sockets , light switches and lights.
I can't put fcu to discriminate as one cable to switches.
is there any way i can discriminate socket and lights without running a new circuit?
any help would be much appreciated.

As above. If the customer doesn't want a proper fix then just change the breaker to protect the smallest cable in the circuit.

Tin hat on...
If the cable is 1.5mm you could probably get away with a 16a mcb to do the lot.
If you have 1mm then its either rewire time or a 10amp mcb but this will likely trip if someone plugs in a heavy load like a portable heater

Hi Bill and welcome.
Out of interest, what has brought you to the house? Is there a fault or do they want some new works?

thank u guys its lovely to have you lot to hand.
Wilko to your question its a shop and they gave the contract to dodgy builder who just f****d all of it up. they have have 2 2kw heaters running on same circuit aswell and instead of tapping the end of circuit in CU the guy put a 13A plug and plugged directly onto a cc tv circuit double socket which was running on a 10A breaker. so every time they turned the heaters on it tripped. To keep the costs down as they don't want to drop everything apart i secured the sockets with 20A breaker but when it came to the lights i can't so much.
its a stupid question but is there any single pole Fcu available?

Just don't use the 2nd pole?

Without seeing I'm not sure that is even a viable solution.

Can you wire new feeds to provide power to the 2 heaters? What other heating source is there? If central with radiators then get rid of the 2 electric heaters but still bring down the mcb rating to 10 as the rest is probably low load items.
Not easy that one.
Who is holding the ‘purse’?

no he's done it in spider circuit dont know how hes made the lights work but for sockets its a spider and looks like he has taken a feed for lights from same spider circuit and then probs made another spider to make lights work..

So the whole lot is wired in flex? Any ferrules on terminations etc? Sounds like a fire waiting to happen.

Reply to no discrimination in sockets & lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock