Discuss No earth or neutral in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Went to customers house yesterday (TT System) with a reported loss of power to the outbuilding.
Checked the main consumer unit & the mcb was off, so flicked it back on, plugged in the megger & it showed 230v. But when I tried the lights or plugged in the Strimmer nothing happened, when tested I had 230v between live - neutral, live - earth at the outbuilding consumer unit.
So I thought I would checked the main board only to discover the neutral & earth were disconnected, reconnected the cables & success.
What I don't understand is that the customer said the power was fine up to a few months ago & then nothing, he didn't do anything & no one else has been playing, so first of all why was it working without a neutral & earth connected & then why did It suddenly stop working.

Probably a neutral - cpc fault on the cable causing an upfront RCD to operate. Someone has disconnected it to remove the fault.

The outbuilding probably worked with the neutral and cpc disconnected due to the neutral current being diverted through extraneous metal parts in the outhouse.

Was there an RCD and did you test it?

Suspect the customer forgot to mention that it had been disconnected by a previous electrician.....

Probably a neutral - cpc fault on the cable causing an upfront RCD to operate. Someone has disconnected it to remove the fault.

The outbuilding probably worked with the neutral and cpc disconnected due to the neutral current being diverted through extraneous metal parts in the outhouse.

Was there an RCD and did you test it?

Suspect the customer forgot to mention that it had been disconnected by a previous electrician.....
RCD was working fine & there was no earth neutral fault when i tested the cable.

You say the earth and neutral were disconnected and the customer says it was working and nobody has done anything to it.

Both cannot be true.

Someone has disconnected them.

My first guess would be that the customer knows they were disconnected, probably by an electrician after finding a fault and they probably disconnected the live too.
The customer has reconnected the live thinking that's all they need to do and realised it doesn't work, so they call a different electrician and play dumb.

You say the earth and neutral were disconnected and the customer says it was working and nobody has done anything to it.

Both cannot be true.

My first guess would be that the customer knows they were disconnected, probably by an electrician after finding a fault and they probably disconnected the live too.
The customer has reconnected the live thinking that's all they need to do and realised it doesn't work, so they call a different electrician and play dumb.

I think Dave has nailed it.

Both cannot be true.

I did have my doubts, but the poor sod struggled to walk, so it wasn't him & the CU had a nice layer of dust on it.

I did have my doubts, but the poor sod struggled to walk, so it wasn't him & the CU had a nice layer of dust on it.
well there's your answer. dirty dust with metallic filings in it, providing a path for the electrons. but did the meter register this?
think this situation is a case of customer telling porkies.

This sounds fairly familiar to a job I did a while ago in an office toilet where the metal ceiling frame was sparking when the lights were on. I eventually discovered the cpc to the lights was broken above the ceiling before the toilet lights... Then the switch wire was pierced at the light switch by the screw... And to finish off the neutral for the lights was disconnected at the ccu (presumably to stop the mcb tripping due to the ir fault?).
The result being the lights had been operating for god knows how long by way of using the building structure as the neutral...

Reply to No earth or neutral in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock