Discuss No rcd on lights and cooker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with this

I have a old plastic consumer unit with one rcd with lighting and cooker not on rcd
The original lighting circuit has been altered over the years and 16 non fire rated spotlights put in the kitchen with all earths cut out
2 bathrooms 5 spotlights in each not iP rated and earths cut out again
Would this fail an eicr due to no rcd on cooker circuit and lights with the original wiring being altered and not been put on rcd when the spotlights was done and now cause they have to be replaced anyway this would now require an rcd

You cannot fail an eicr, but you will receive at unsatisfactory report due to the lack of earth at each point. If the circuit is altered in any way then it will be the responsibility of the electrician to ensure it is compliant, likely meaning it will need rcd protection.

The circuits not on rcd would be a c3, improvement,
but as above, not having earths at each light point C2. Potentially dangerous
Assuming they are mains spotlights.
if they are selv then they don’t need an earth taking to each point.

So would you say even tho the spotlights that was a addition to the original wiring they don’t require rcd even if replacing them all and rectifying the earth problem

Same with the cooker it’s clearly an addition after the original wiring so shouldn’t it of been put on rcd when installed and shouldn’t it be put on rcd anyway now

If they are being replaced the earths will require being connected. That's an alteration to a circuit and therefore will require rcd protection to be complaint.

Reply to No rcd on lights and cooker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, Been a while since I have been on here. I have been on an apprenticeship the last 3 years training in the BMS world. Taking that into...
Replies
Views
An RCD keeps tripping. Please see attached photo of the board (2 photos attached). I’ll call the breakers: MCB (1) marked ‘Upstairs lighting’...
Replies
Views
I’m going to call an electrician out on Monday, but curious if anyone has any ideas about this fault: I have a new kitchen fitted and two...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I am a homeowner (but not an electrician) and I am renovating a house that has an old CU containing MCBs and an MK LN5725 residual...
Replies
Views
Hi, just hoping for a bit of advice. When I travel abroad (Europe, predominantly Spain/Cyprus) I usually take a single travel adaptor and a UK 4...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock