Discuss non - BS 1363 socket in domestic installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

knxhome

I wonder about a domestic installation which has a few non - BS 1363 sockets in addition to the majority of BS 1363 sockets.

The non - BS 1363 sockets are Schuko sockets with with child protection, i.e. they have shutters Gira SCHUKO socket outlet 16 A/250 V~ with child protection and @Bild/Kinderschutz.gif@BildEnde symbol
These sockets are rated at 16A and are on radial circuits protected by a 10A (or 16A) MCB, plus a 30mA RCD, on a TNC-S system (DNO providing PME supply)

I have seen foreign sockets at UK airport terminals.

What are your views on these Schuko sockets in a domestic installation in the above configuration?

Thanks

The regs have nothing to say on the matter really, so long as they are correctly installed and protected it's perfectly acceptable.

I'm not sure about the UK regs but I don't see a problem with the sockets as such and Gira is a high-end manufacturer. I don't have any issue with radial circuits either as long as per previous post they're correctly protected which it sounds like they are.

Haven't got the BGB with me to look it up, but BS7671 allows you to use any other methods or equipment so long as they offer a degree of protection equal to or greater than the intent of the requirement.

One thing that should be remembered about Schuko socket outlets (German version) and that is they are not Line - Neutral polarised (unlike the French version which is polarised). You can insert the plug top either way round!! Doesn't matter much in Germany as they pretty much use DP breakers as standard, but the UK and most other countries do not!!

So just remember that an appliance/equipment switch my well not be switching the line conductor but the neutral... it's a 50/50 chance!! ...lol!!

Reply to non - BS 1363 socket in domestic installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net