Discuss Non combustible cable supports in escape routes. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

dlt27

-
Reaction score
Hi all, I have just read a report by BRE on the effects on cable supports caused from fire. It stated the obvious about the plastic clips, plastic conduit etc failing. However what I found interesting was that the metal supports failed due to the plastic rawl plugs failing. So I just wondered what is the point of using non combustible supports if the rawl plugs fail. ( in concrete that is). Does this mean we should be fixing saddles up with those concrete screws rather than plastic rawl plugs!

if the fire has got to the level of melting rawlplugs, then it's too late for anyone in there to get out without being incinerated.

So the next update of the regs will advise that rawl plugs are not to be used then presumably. Daz

2xfirefighters died when cable fell on them and tangled in their ba sets.preventing them getting out of property.
The cables were in plastic trunking running back to the consumer unit in the hallway.
There is a report if anyone wants to read it .
Search "Sheryl towers fire"

2xfirefighters died when cable fell on them and tangled in their ba sets.preventing them getting out of property.
The cables were in plastic trunking running back to the consumer unit in the hallway.
There is a report if anyone wants to read it .
Search "Sheryl towers fire"

How does that help with the rawl plug issue? Daz

Yeah, I know what you mean. But I'm intrigued to know what the recommendations are going to be as far as what fixings to use in these areas. Daz

I'd imagine it's not the raw plugs getting hot directly from the fire, it's the heat transferred through the bracket and the screws. If the rawplugs are polyethylene they'll melt at maybe 120-140 Celsius so I'd imagine it could be an issue. Maybe drop-in threaded anchors and thread rods would be better.

Reply to Non combustible cable supports in escape routes. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net