Discuss Noob from Ireland, first time site visitor in the Ireland area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

house basher working with a local contractor in Galway. Currently waiting to be called for my final phase. Was googling testing and verification as i havent done much of it in recent years, and came upon this site. Most lads I call havent a clue how to do these tests. Hoping to find good info/advice here. Cheers all.

Hi all,

house basher working with a local contractor in Galway. Currently waiting to be called for my final phase. Was googling testing and verification as i havent done much of it in recent years, and came upon this site. Most lads I call havent a clue how to do these tests. Hoping to find good info/advice here. Cheers all.
Welcome along Mate

Pick up a copy of GN3 if you can.

Nothing too complex with initial verification once you get used to what is required.

Undertaking EICR,s is a different ball game to be honest, all comes with experience.

Any questions, fire away. I am sure there are plenty of members on here who can help with any queries you might have. :)

Hi all,

Welcome to the forum.

Not much point in picking up GN3, or BS7671 unless you plan to work in Northern Ireland or the mainland. They would be a waste of money if you work in Galway

@Simonslimline, I had typed my reply straight after but someone called round so I never posted until just now.

OP is from Galway, Ireland, so GN3, BS7671 EICR's etc - it's different regulations and rules so buying any UK books is a waste of money.

Thanks, i was not aware. :)

With regards to initial verification, where would you get guidance from? I am assuming there is a procedure to verify the installations?

Wow. Right friendly bunch. Thanks all. Will be due to do it in January. Out of the lads I know that I called, they themselves never do the testing. They bang out the houses and a few other lads that work for the same firm come along after and do it all. 8 of out 10 ive asked havent a clue how to use the megger, the remainder I wouldnt know personally, are impossible to get a hold of. Most tell me theres nothing to it, yet dont know how to do the tests.

I guess its like everything, when you are doing something every day, its second nature. Ive never had to do the tests before, but the crowd we work for now want everything anymore. I can do most of the tests. But im not sure if I am doing them 100% correctly.

Example...Insulation resistance. I kill the power, disconnect the main incoming neutral, link the main incoming feed to the met and do the test at 500v. But on every test ive done I get the exact same result. >500 mega ohms. On rewires and old installations....surely it cant be the same everytime. I have seen a few other record sheets for similar jobs and lads jist make up values, as we know that the min acceptable is 1mega ohm. Although low, should be checked into is still acceptable. So im thinkin 500 is way outta the park. I must be doing it wrong. Anyway, long rant. Thanks again for the friendly welcome =)

big boo boo there, but cant find the edit button. Link incoming live to neutral and test off met, not link to met, and I just realised I should have created a new thread in a different area for this. Apologies!

RECI have a Guide to Testing and Verification which is very good and has lots of illustrations.
Wow. Right friendly bunch. Thanks all. Will be due to do it in January. Out of the lads I know that I called, they themselves never do the testing. They bang out the houses and a few other lads that work for the same firm come along after and do it all. 8 of out 10 ive asked havent a clue how to use the megger, the remainder I wouldnt know personally, are impossible to get a hold of. Most tell me theres nothing to it, yet dont know how to do the tests.

I guess its like everything, when you are doing something every day, its second nature. Ive never had to do the tests before, but the crowd we work for now want everything anymore. I can do most of the tests. But im not sure if I am doing them 100% correctly.

Example...Insulation resistance. I kill the power, disconnect the main incoming neutral, link the main incoming feed to the met and do the test at 500v. But on every test ive done I get the exact same result. >500 mega ohms. On rewires and old installations....surely it cant be the same everytime. I have seen a few other record sheets for similar jobs and lads jist make up values, as we know that the min acceptable is 1mega ohm. Although low, should be checked into is still acceptable. So im thinkin 500 is way outta the park. I must be doing it wrong. Anyway, long rant. Thanks again for the friendly welcome =)

Make sure all protective devices are switched on (apart from main isolator or switch fuse if the DSO (ESB) supply is present, and surge protectors removed. The link should be upstream of any RCDs.

RECI have a Guide to Testing and Verification which is very good and has lots of illustrations.

Make sure all protective devices are switched on (apart from main isolator or switch fuse if the DSO (ESB) supply is present, and surge protectors removed. The link should be upstream of any RCDs.

Reply to Noob from Ireland, first time site visitor in the Ireland area at ElectriciansForums.net