Discuss not sure on board type in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparke

Hi all , passed my elecsa assesment a week ago and im ready to go .
been to a couple of jobs recently where the consumer unit was not up to what was installed in the dwelling at present.customer is willing to up date but the problem is a majority of these insallations have only 2 or 3 circs typical local council for you back in the day, eg lights on 1 all sockets on another including heating .how do i fit this to a 17th edition board do i have to take up floors ,go into loft spaces an seperate circs back to new consumer to get it to comply or do i put in a none 17th ed board that is rcd protected ? not sure..:confused:

Did you say you passed your Elecsa assessment?

If this is true I am very alarmed that you are asking these questions, and am even more worried that Elecsa is paasing people with very little knowledge as is evident from your question.

Or is this a late April Fools joke?

you need to fit a 17th board and do your best with the circuits you have got, lights 1 side, sockets the other will be fine,
you only have to deal with the circs that are there not create new ones. cheers

Did you say you passed your Elecsa assessment?

If this is true I am very alarmed that you are asking these questions, and am even more worried that Elecsa is paasing people with very little knowledge as is evident from your question.

Or is this a late April Fools joke?
Sorry no late April fool . Not asking you how put in fuse board or what type to insall . wanted to know how far to go if we are useing 17th edition regs and house doent comply did i need to ajust existing to do so. Advise was what i was after not comments about my knowledge ,

get over your self!!!!!

Hi sparke
I would put a csu with a 100Amp double pole switch as main switch and all of the circuits on rcbo's that will give you individual rcd coverage on lights and sockets so if you loose one you dont loose the ohters. If there are only 3-4 circuits it wont run that much more than a so called '17th edition board' or even cheaper if you source cheap enough rcbo's.
good luck

Yes, rather nasty there from sivoodoo, there are a lot of silly questions that most people would think easy and I am sure we all have them, perhaps we should try to help these guys out.

Yes, rather nasty there from sivoodoo, there are a lot of silly questions that most people would think easy and I am sure we all have them, perhaps we should try to help these guys out.

Exactley, Im the same, you dont get no where if you dont ask. Its better to ask and do things correctly rather than not asking and making a mess of it.

I agree, you dont get anywhere if you dont ask, but i personally feel the question being asked here is pretty basic stuff!

I would be worried if I was a customer hearing this.

Everything you do in a domestic property should be done to the 17th Ed.

I do hope you are going to test for insulation and continuity before you swap over the CU, otherwise you may discover more problems.

You will also have to upgrade the meter tails if you are installing a larger mainswitch.

Good luck.

As a matter of course most people would upgrade the tails but why would you NEED to do it if they are protected by the correct size overload device?

Reply to not sure on board type in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock