Discuss nothing like being thrown a curve ball in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I was asked to change a light fitting in a neighbours house easy job help out a neighbour I thought. I had my 2nd oldest son with me so thought it would be good to show him how to work safely ie how to use a voltage indicator and work safe.
normal procedure
prove indicator using proving unit
check voltage at light fitting
demonstrate fitting dead (lock mcb off)
prove indicator with proving unit
get young lad to disconnect light and he said I've just had a shock from wiring (single twin and earth at light ) I thought I just checked and its dead so I checked it again and no voltage so I decided to do it. I got a cracker of a shock made me look like a total plank in front of young lad so I checked again, no voltage between L+N but 240 between L+E.
turns out when there smart meter fitted the installer made a small mistake (don't know how to find sarcastic emoji)
turns out the MCB switched the neutral as L+N reversed
anyone else had something like this
and DNO contacted to rectify issue

Doh !
I have only once followed safe isolation procedure and ended up with live parts, so it is not an infallible method at all.
In this instance though you just did it wrong.

turns out when there smart meter fitted the installer made a small mistake (don't know how to find sarcastic emoji)
turns out the MCB switched the neutral as L+N reversed
anyone else had something like this

There is another thread on there about a new 'smart meter' being wired up wrong.

Surely there is some sort of action people can take in this situation of you hadn't have spotted that then nothing would have had proper protection for God knows how long I think it's ridiculous I've heard of this happening a few times now

So what about safe isolation for a distribution board change, how many people would test all the outgoing cables as well as the incoming supply?

I changed a board on Tuesday where one of the outgoing lighting cables was still live after isolating the board. Powered from another board, we think cross connected during some recent building work.

I know people hate volt sticks but I always use mine on cables that I have already proved to be dead. I just see it as an extra line of defence and in fairness it would have detected the voltage in the cross polarity in the OP's scenario and also the live outgoing circuit in the second scenario.

Volt sticks are very useful when used correctly.

So what about safe isolation for a distribution board change, how many people would test all the outgoing cables as well as the incoming supply?

I changed a board on Tuesday where one of the outgoing lighting cables was still live after isolating the board. Powered from another board, we think cross connected during some recent building work.
Ha ha ha - must be Plumbers revenge !

Makes you wonder how many of these there are out there waiting to catch people out.

Reply to nothing like being thrown a curve ball in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock