Discuss Nuisance tripping. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,
I’ve just completed a large house re/ new wire with new 15 circuit split MK board.
Test is fine but have low IR on some circuits, board randomly trips rcd on one side no pattern.
Its a big house lots of tech plugged in etc, so I’m thinking update from B to C type mcbs Incase it’s an inrush issue on one of the circuits but I’m open to suggestions???

Thanks .

It’s hard to say as they have a lot of hard wired equipment I can’t get at, boiler, fridge Frezzer, etc, I’ve told them it’s something they have connected to the circuits or plugged in that they need to eliminate
How can you tell 'them' that when you have done little I&T to establish the fault - from what you have said so far? Possibly is an appliance or combination but more work needed to identify this?

Why do you think 8.8Mohm IR could be having an effect on this? Have you calculated the leakage current that will flow due to this value?
Hi, no I don’t thing it’s an issue I was just giving the details about the test. No I’ve not calculated the earth leakage, I’m fairly new to this so I know far from everything and hope to pick up on the knowledge from this forums.

You should invest in an earth leakage clamp, most wholesalers will have them in.
You must have unplugged everything when you done your IR tests? Or that lower reading could be misleading.

How can you tell 'them' that when you have done little I&T to establish the fault - from what you have said so far? Possibly is an appliance or combination but more work needed to identify this?
Hi , I’ve tested the whole installation and rechecked all the fixed wiring, and found no issues.

If it is earth leakage then do away with the upfront RCD and change MCBs to RCBOS
Or if you get a clamp you could possibly juggle things round in the board

It would be unusual for a domestic to have inrush currents that would justify type C RCD. Also you might find it harder to meet disconnection times with a type C. If everything is unplugged does it trip? I am not sure whether you mean you re-wired the whole house or part of it? If it is a new rewire then the IR readings you are getting are unusually low for new cables installed properly.

Reply to Nuisance tripping. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock