Discuss NVQ Registration advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

claret73

I'm biting the bullet & doing what I should have done 18 Months ago...I've had a couple of recommendations off this forum with companies such as XS Training & Delta to do my NVQ with. I could also go to my College I did my 2330 with & enrol with them I guess?
I've been told the cut off is December 2012, now if I miss it what replaces it & what would the implications be?

I'm 39, effectively looking for Improver/Mates Jobs, CIS Subcontract so am going to have to work harder to get the work needed to complete the portfolio.
Any good advice before I start making inroads?

i didn't realise they'd extended the cut off date. definitely sign up for it. if you miss out on the 2356, i believe the only route to nvq3 will be via the new 2357 which will entail doing the technical certificates again (i think). i've collected the majority of my portfolio evidence but haven't had any of it signed off; the company i was working for went bust. that being said, i've got until 2015 to complete everything. good luck with your endeavours mate, i've just turned 40 and it's no walk in the park trying to get ahead in this business at our age - especially with the construction industry on its knees.

bradford college. costs between 400 and 500 quid a year. the tutor said it's possible to complete the whole thing in three months, given the right type of work. i've been enrolled since january 2011 but i haven't been to college since june 2011. i'm going back in september to see if i can use the evidence i've already collected - even though it hasn't been signed off. i don't fancy paying for the full year though.

Cheers! Least I'm not alone...not that I thought I was. I held off after doing my 2330 in 2010 as wasn't getting enough Commercial experience, but wished I'd done it before now. I could go to college but might try one of the providers as I don't know where I'll be. I'll be chasing work wherever so College route could restrict my movement...Thanks for the reply, appreciated.

i worked for a company that had 4 or 5 lads all doing the online route to nvq3. our contracts manager was the first to gain the qualification and the rest of the lads just copied the written evidence that he'd submitted (in their own words). it worked, they all got their certificates. i won't mention the providers name on here but i will say that it's been mentioned in a few other posts.

I think that's the uninitiated response by lads who aren't prepared to work at it. That's been happening for ages...I know it makes a mockery really but this course is a hoop I'll need to jump through. Not looking to cheat any systems, just felt the on-line approach for me was a better route. I've read lots of people having to chase work to complete their portfolio...

Definately worth while doing. If you have the right types of jobs then you could easily complete the NVQ 3 in three months. No need to copy as it should be easy enough for an electrician to follow the layout.

Can I ask who you are doing your course with? College or Private provider?

local colleges are nearly always cheaper than a private training provider for the same course.
i'd choose my local tech every time.

i think the online route is just as relevant as the college route. there isn't much difference in showing your evidence to a real live person at college or sending it through email for someone to assess. and if my college try to charge me for the last academic year (when i never attended college) as well as the upcoming one, then i'll be enrolling on one myself. by the way, the lads that i worked with were all excellent sparkies and had been working in the industrial/commercial electrical industry for years. each one of them could have completed their portfolio by themselves, they just couldn't be bothered. i guess i'm like you; i like the satisfaction that comes with earning a qualification.
I think that's the uninitiated response by lads who aren't prepared to work at it. That's been happening for ages...I know it makes a mockery really but this course is a hoop I'll need to jump through. Not looking to cheat any systems, just felt the on-line approach for me was a better route. I've read lots of people having to chase work to complete their portfolio...

I'm in a similar situation - my local college wouldn't let me enrol because I was doing agency work, even though I probably would have covered enough different aspects to complete the NVQ.
With Delta training you do it all online without site visits, although you need the 2391. Apparently it's cheaper than my local college, so I'll more than likely go for that.
I suppose what I'll have to do is enrol with Delta before the cutoff date in December and then I'll have a couple of years to worry about chasing work for my portfolio. I can probably get some of it done in my current job, otherwise I might have to take some holiday and do agency or private work.

I'm deffo going to enroll, not sure yet with whom, as there's about 3 on-line companies all with good recommendations. But you have about 2 years, so I'm hoping that I can get enough (mainly paid) variety to complete everything...I don't mind chasing it, the point being to come away with enough knowledge to apply for the Sparks card, so the 2 years+ I've had in Domestic, coupled with a couple more years on-site should see me OK i hope?...I did think about Part P & passing up Commercial/Industrial but want to see what's out there & what I enjoy outside of Domestic...

Which are the other ones you've looked into? A mate did his with Delta and said they were quite good, and they seem to be the one most people are talking about on here - TBH I hadn't really considered trying anyone else other than my local college, but they seemed like too much trouble (and expense).

The other 2 mentioned but one above the other are XS Training & Quickstep...There are lots of posts for XS & get as good a rep as Delta, so I guess in the scheme it isn't a major issue but you could call them all & see how the phone conversation goes...might get a preferable feel for a personal approach & response as I imagine there'd be telephone time to call in and speak to assessors?...

The one issue I noticed with a lad doing his NVQ on my 2330 was the lack of opportunity for him to get Commercial experience outside of Domestic. You're then locked into an area as the College assessor isn't going to want to drive to the other end of the country to site visit you (I'd imagine). Doing it on-line, distance gives you the freedom to chase the work & experience that you need. Well, that's my thinking & if I'm missing something, somebody please shout before I part with money...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in a similar situation - my local college wouldn't let me enrol because I was doing agency work, even though I probably would have covered enough different aspects to complete the NVQ.
With Delta training you do it all online without site visits, although you need the 2391. Apparently it's cheaper than my local college, so I'll more than likely go for that.
I suppose what I'll have to do is enrol with Delta before the cutoff date in December and then I'll have a couple of years to worry about chasing work for my portfolio. I can probably get some of it done in my current job, otherwise I might have to take some holiday and do agency or private work.
that's a ridiculous stance for your college to make; you can easily complete the nvq with agency work - the right agency work. i wasn't getting any work when i jumped on the nvq course. i signed on for it because i'd heard it was being phased out (this was in late 2010) and i knew you needed it for jib recognition. i then offered my services for free, to several companies, and eventually found a contractor who was willing to help me out. he even paid me.
N.B. it is staggering, the amount of companies that turn down the chance of free labour.

The other 2 mentioned but one above the other are XS Training & Quickstep...There are lots of posts for XS & get as good a rep as Delta, so I guess in the scheme it isn't a major issue but you could call them all & see how the phone conversation goes...might get a preferable feel for a personal approach & response as I imagine there'd be telephone time to call in and speak to assessors?...

The one issue I noticed with a lad doing his NVQ on my 2330 was the lack of opportunity for him to get Commercial experience outside of Domestic. You're then locked into an area as the College assessor isn't going to want to drive to the other end of the country to site visit you (I'd imagine). Doing it on-line, distance gives you the freedom to chase the work & experience that you need. Well, that's my thinking & if I'm missing something, somebody please shout before I part with money...
claret, i don't think you'd get a site visit. i was informed by my college tutor that i won't be getting one. i think it's an age thing. similar thing with the portfolio - the young lads have to complete each unit two, maybe three times, whilst i only have to do each unit once. unless??.... the site visit might be a requirement of the online thing.

Reply to NVQ Registration advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock