Discuss NZ sparky just moved to the UK in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have just settled here in the UK with my British partner. We are based in Southampton.
I am a New Zealand qualified Electrician with 6 years qualified experience. I come from a broad background with my most recent experience in high end residential and commercial work.
I am now starting to look for work after travelling around for a bit. I've just ordered my 18th edition books and I will look at doing the Learnzone Media online course to study up for the exam. I've done some enquiring about the AM2 but there is no availability on local courses until April. I've brushed up on the Health and Safety test and ready to go but I need my National Insurance number to apply which is still on its way.
I'd like to get into a role as a mate or improver while I look to get my qualifications over here. I've contacted a few agencies but they've been all a bit useless. If anyone has any contacts down here in Southampton to get me started it would be much appreciated.

Hey man, I’m in the same boat as you, just moved here 2 and a half weeks ago, originally a sparky from Aus, im in the process of completing the 18th by Friday this week, then am going to be looking into the AM2/health and saftey to get a Ecs jib card but am also waiting for my national insurance number which is slowing things down, seems like an ecs card is the best way to get a job if coming from overseas

Nice one. Are you based in London? I chatted to a few outfits on London and they said they'd have work right away as an Improver/Mate until the qualifications got sorted. Just a bit far for me to travel daily. Yeah the NI never is niggly, been waiting a month now and they reckon another couple of weeks.

Nah I’m based in the West Midlands but thinking of working in or close to a city once I gain an ecs card as I don’t want to buy car insurance, i recommend doing the 3 day 18th edition course you won’t have to study or worry, The course is only so you know how to use the book not understand it, teachers were very helpful

Nice, yeah car insurance is crazy over here, half the price of the car for the year! My NI number finally arrived and I managed to get straight onto and ECS course and have booked in the 18th and AM2 to complete by the end of the month. I got quite lucky with some cancellations on the AM2.

Hey Tyler, very nice with that booking, I’ve just got my NI number literally today and have booked my wh+s for the 26th and Am2 pre course/assessment 1st and the 8th/9th hopefully once NET gets back to me, been studying abit about the ring circuit testing and the PFC testing which I haven’t learnt about in Aus. Have been told guidance note 3 is very helpful in learning the difference’s. How have you gone about bridging the differences? Haven’t started work but thinking I would want to start after I get an ecs card so I won’t have to labour

Reply to NZ sparky just moved to the UK in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock