Discuss Obligations in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Then once they move in, go to the pet shop and buy a couple of pregnant mice. When they go out post them through the letter box:)
Edit.. Don't do that, it was a joke.
In the loft would be better.

Teesside area I'd guess mate OP is Monkeyhanger

Pass the job onto DurhamSparks, I'll pop up with him just to wind the customer up. I'll even bring my own dead fish to put under the floorboards and behind plaster boards.

Do you fancy it DS? ;););)

Monkeyhanger, if I have understood you correctly you have no contract with the householder and no scope of works either by the sound of things, so you are under no obligation to return ( and if I were you I would not return, what kind of people threaten physical violence!) You may have a verbal contract with the Bulider, but that is down to who said what ,when. In fact the whole arrangement sounds amateur. The Builder is employed by the householder I assume, what is the scope of his contract? but the householder is responsible for paying you, so in short if they do take you to court ( which I do not believe they will) they will lose because they have no contract with you and their contract arrangements with others are unclear and the law does not look kindly on things that are unclear.

On another point, if the householder is doing works to the electrical installation himself who is going to sign it off? I hope that he is not expecting you to do that ??! Good luck and if I were you I would not return to this job and I would make the reason clear to the Builder who introduced you to the situation in the first place.

Reverse Psychology, Front them.... Grow a set of balls and tell them in no uncertain terms how it is and how it will be. You now want money for second fix upfront or YOU will see them in court. Sounds like you're dealing with a bunch of gobby dim witts so unless you are physically afraid of these people put it to them.

I am not the biggest of people and I am quite softly softly whilst going about my professional business but when it comes to situations like this my bollards grow huge and I stand my ground unless I honestly believe that I am going to get my head caved in.... and believe me, I worked on the doors so I know they ARE out there.

Two choices, take the stand.... Literally OR take the money a F*** them off. The only problem with the latter is your reputation is most definitely at risk.

This is where I believe judging a book by it's cover is most important. At the end of the day every tradesperson should be looking for quality customers just like they are SUPPOSEDLY looking for a quality tradesperson

:thumbsup

I had exactly this situation when I was fitting a bathroom suite.

I walked away & left them with the bath, basin & WC fitted, but no water connected to any of them.

As I was leaving, the woman of the house asked me if I could recommend another plumber to finish the job !!!

Dont get wound up if you read my post about the jobsworth who was hostile the minute I walked in the door I said look I dont get paid enough to take that from you and I refuse to get caught up in a bun fight between you and your boss so I am out of here because your conduct is not acceptable remember you need to find out why they are so hostile with you I had it with a customer years ago and when I walked she phoned to explain that the last spark messed them about so I said well you and your husband need to resolve this because you aint taking it out on me trust me it aint worth it Also put it in writing to them that you and your boy feel that they are being hostile and rude to the both of yous and with these types take a notepad so that when you say do you want a cost for tv cables and they say no then make sure you write this down in front of them so with the date at the yop of the page you can say well I specifically asked you on date and you refused one last thing are they the same with the other trades or are the just angry with the other trades and taking it out on you

There's all sorts of things I'd have liked to have said at the time (e.g. about when I came first thing to upgrade the meter tails as the leccy board were putting an 80A in, at 10:45AM their two sons were STILL in the beds that needed moving to take the boards up and we had to wake them up ourselves!) but I tried my best not to give them any actual reason to kick us out etc. otherwise I'd have left with NO money/cheque but still plenty of grief!

I guess that somebody who stands and suddenly spouts off consumer right this that and the other and if you dont do the second fix and sign it off we will see you in court, has possibly done a bit of misguided research & has intended this situation to happen. I'm the youngest on site (I'm 24 and my apprentice is 18) so if they were going to take the **** of any of the trades it was obvious it would be us.

I only wish the sparky who was initially meant to do the job had phoned me to tell me about the people, before the builder asked me if I wanted to do it! Wait till I see him in the wholesaler next...

On a lighter note, I've had some great customers lately. We did an occupied rewire for a national letting agent and the tenants couldn't praise us enough for our work (two 13 hour days) and tidying up after ourselves. Last week we did our first job for a local kitchen & bathroom company (shower / down lights / fan light / bonding) and the people in the house were over the moon, & phoned the firm up to request that when they get their new kitchen in a few months could they send us back to do the electrics.

Yep thats the bonus and yes you need to realise that you can get the odd bad customer and I have learned its no use getting into a fight with them as my I dont need this walk away mentality works for me but sadly people want and need you to orbit around their lifes and that means waiting for the 2 teenage kids to surface out their beds and sometimes them as well as I do work for a letting agent and you cannot get access to the property until after 1 because they cannot get out of their bed so i say well I will come a week on Tuesday they say I cant wait that long then it well I can fit you in at 10 well ok then and I turn up at 9:30 the things we need to do

If I take this correctly, another point to take into consideration is that they have interfered with your installation by installing the TV cables incorrectly. 7671 and Part P come into play. If you walk, who will provide the certs? You've done the first fix. Could be a can of worms for the charmers.

Had a call off others on site yesterday, asking if I was going to go back to 2nd fix & sign it off next week as it will be all skimmed out etc. by then, they said that the home owners have been telling everyone that if I don't complete & sign off they will take legal action. They haven't tried contacting me themselves, even though I'm the one working for them. Idiots!

Reply to Obligations in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock