Discuss Obligations in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have completed a first fix for a client on the recommendation of a builder who put up the shell of an extension. However, the home owners have been agressive and verbally abusive on a number of occassions (I won't go into too much detail but they are 'nut cases') and have talked down to me and my apprentice quite extensively while we have been on site. When asking for money as the first fix was completed they agressively told us that we wouldn't have any money unless we completed the job, and if we didn't complete the job they would see us in court, etc. etc.

Some of the (many) rediculous points they have said they arent happy with (and have became abusive) include us fitting a fan in a downstairs WC which now doesnt have a window (as the extension covers it) I showed the husband that we could put the fan in line with the light in the centre of the room as the bay to one side was taken with central heating pipes to the boiler below, and the bay to the other side couldn't be ducted as the edge of the external porch didn't allow for core drilling. The bloke agreed that the fan could only go in the middle and this was OK, later (when it had been done) they told us the fan wasn't where they wanted it and we never asked them where they wanted it, that we were not professionals and that they would get someone else in to 'put things right' when we had cleared off (in so many words).

I asked about whether they wanted TV points wiring, which were on the drawing, on three seperate occasions, to which they replied that they were doing them themselves as they didn't want to pay out for someone else to do it. When the plasterer got held up and couldn't board any more walls because the TV points weren't wired, they phoned and TOLD ME that I had forgot to wire them and I had to attend the site IMMEDIATELY (I was in the middle of a rewire). I told them that this wasnt the case however, and the joiner was witness to two occassions when I had asked, who was on site with them. They became very abusive on the phone at this, and said that they would find out where we were working and come and pick us up, and that if we wouldn't go immediately they would get someone else and bill us for the work, and bill us for the plasterers wasted time. When the bloke started raising his voice etc. I put the phone down. I have discovered later that the husband had wired his own TV points, running coax in through the same holes as all my T&E in the stud work.

Those are two examples, of which there are plenty.

I have managed to get some money which covers our time and materials for the first fix (refused to cut the cavity boxes in this morning before the plasterer skimmed unless I had something for my troubles). The lady of the house told me she wouldn't give me it directly, but passed a cheque to the builder who was there. Who was stood with us. Who then gave me it, and it was made out in my name. (This is a woman in her 50s). I told them I wasn't happy with the way we were being spoken to and that we didn't come to work to be abused, and that if there was any more of it or the cheque didn't clear and I wouldn't be back to finish the job. At which I was told that if I didn't come back and 2nd fix and sign the job off, they would see me in court, after they had got someone else to finish it, and handed me their bill.

I could hear the wife in the background telling her son that if he didn't hit me she would.

The joiner has had the same sort of problem with them at the beginning of the job, but now we have been on site the focus and abuse seems to have shifted to us.

I have completed and notified many such jobs as this (over 70) in the last 3 years of being self employed, and have NEVER witnessed a customer like it- not even close.

Am I under any legal obligation to return?
I don't think I could tell the bloke to stop raising his voice and pointing at me, as calmly as I have done, if there is a next time.

If it were ne I would take the money for what's been done and politely inform them that due to their attitude you are not prepared to complete the works.

I am assuming that you haven't signed any contracts to the contrary?

as above. clear the cheque then walk. sounds like nothing but trouble. and the chances of them taking you to court are 1 in a thousand. been there, got the tee shirt.

Not worth the hassle, get out while you have some money and no abuse.
So long as there is no contract in place then do not take threats to heart, they can hardly charge you for someone doing the job they were going to pay you for!

There is no written contract. I jumped on this first fix as a bit of a favour (in the hope of more work) for the builder, as his friend of many years had let him down. I know the electrician who was meant to originally do the job, when I spoke to him I found out that he never had any intention of doing the work as the people in the house had been 'telling him how to do his job' and he didn't like their attitude when he had visited to price the works.

The builder phoned me up to do the first fix, though I'm not working for him, I'm supposedly working directly for the people in the house. The builder meanwhile is off putting his next shell up and out of the way.

Walk away mate, people like that don't deserve the time of day.

listen to the other spark. otherwise you're going to get shafted. WALK AWAY.

I'd also put the word out at the wholesalers about these people. It might teach them to have some common courtesy when they struggle to get a decent tradesman because oftheir crap attitude

Because they have given you a signed cheque they have acknowledged that a debt is legitimately due to you so if it doesn't clear it's off to the county court for a nice easy win to screw their credit rating:)

And if I remember right it is against the law to give a cheque in lieu of payment without the funds to cover it. Verbal abuse is also assault if it makes you fear for your safety.

but don't let them guess that you're not going back . turn up on monday , then give 'em 2 fingers.

I really feel for you mate sounds like a total nightmare and there are people like this who are pros at doing this sort of thing, I think it is unlikely that you will ever get paid the agreed amount if you finish. If you are square re the parts then if it were me I would send a polite email (once you have the funds cleared) stating that to be threatened with physical violence is unacceptable and your working relationship is untenable. Then move on to the next!! All the best.

then if it were me I would send a polite email (once you have the funds cleared) stating that to be threatened with physical violence is unacceptable and your working relationship is untenable. Then move on to the next
Then once they move in, go to the pet shop and buy a couple of pregnant mice. When they go out post them through the letter box:)
Edit.. Don't do that, it was a joke.

dont walk away..run..your gonna get shafted,youve done well not to react so far...thers many would have,the telling the son to hit you or she will would have done it for me..id have ripped it all out and shoved it up his....:38:

Reply to Obligations in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock