Discuss old light fitting in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

oldtimer

Guys not sure how to approuch this I have been asked to test in a building that has 10 really old metal stand lights no problem their but they still have the original 3 core braided single cables as a lead ie no outer sheath.

Now when I&T a 3036 CU you cannot fail it as it was up to the standard when installed so does this apply to these stand lights obviously as long as the cable is in good condition.

I would IR @ 500V test between the cores, if you get 'good' results, give it a PASS.

Yep thinking of doing this but will recommend all of them get rewired with gold coloured flex as they are brass and the braid is a dark cream colour. Yep these things are here to catch you out at time

Guys not sure how to approuch this I have been asked to test in a building that has 10 really old metal stand lights no problem their but they still have the original 3 core braided single cables as a lead ie no outer sheath.

Now when I&T a 3036 CU you cannot fail it as it was up to the standard when installed so does this apply to these stand lights obviously as long as the cable is in good condition.

Just pop the cables in some nice flexible conduit mate :)

visual here first...if there is any signs of damage/corrosion..or the cable insulation and/or sheath is perished...then i wouldn`t even bother to IR it....dont forget that pat testing...as with testing fixed install....inspection always precedes testing with the install/equipment isolated from any supplies.....

Reply to old light fitting in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock