Discuss Old Street cabinet BI Callender’s ! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

UKMeterman

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi,
I am trying to identify this cabinet, it has the trademark of BI Callendar's on the front and the lock on the door looks very 1950s. I have called out SSE and they say the wireing is dead and they think it belongs to BT. I am thiking more like old tramway or street lighting controls. Who should be the person to sort it out?
Location Southall / Northolt London.
Old Street cabinet BI Callender’s ! 20201017_121631 - EletriciansForums.net

Rediffusion or other old Cable TV / radio network.
Ownership and Responsibility of old Cable TV / Radio cabinets, undergraound ducts and overhead cables and poles passed to the new CATV operator in that area when the original franchises were set up.
That responsibility will have passed through all the mergers and take overs, so is probably now Virgin Media if they operate in that area.

Rediffusion had wide coverage where I live and there were many similar boxes, the few that remain have NOT BT and NO POWER painted inside them.

There's probably a cable chamber nearby in the pavement it may have a name on.

Alternately speak to the Local Authority, they should have records.

Certainly not a BT cabinet as the original PCP cabinets were cast iron.

British Insulated Callender's Cables, better know as BICC and later as BIC (British Insulated Cables) used to do a lot of marshalling cabinets in the 40's and 50's for street lighting electrification.

If it's old and obsolete the best and tidiest way would be to remove the cabinet, cut all the cables off below ground level and reinstate.

Reply to Old Street cabinet BI Callender’s ! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock