Discuss On-Site Assessment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DuaneMHunt1976

I dont do posts that well, i tend to avoid Forums, so im not that keen on doing this.

The On-Site Assessment that NICEIC/NAPIT/STROMA all do to become a Domestic Installer.

What Work is the Best and Simplest to show them?
(ie Going over the top and rewiring a house is making more work for yourself to pass the assessment that dosn't need it)
(and it is just a PASS/FAILED thing so no point going over the top)

NB: If my spelling is off, i am sorry. And Grammer is out of the window.

I don't have the Part P nowadays but I can't see that the assessment will have changed that much.

Normally 2 jobs one major one minor. Major I would do a board change, minor perhaps a new lighting/power circuit external.

Have all your books and paperwork up to date. MFT calibration, insurance, RAMS etc.

If he pulls you on anything that isn't dangerous, then you will get a recommendation and a time frame, perhaps 3/6 months to improve. This could be say your HSE is not in place or you haven,t set up your grievance procedure.

Duane don't worry about Grammar we don't lol
Regarding Assessment I think it is 2 jobs for DI and I would imagine they will want to see something worthwhile, although I may be wrong.
Regarding a rewire don't panic, all he will do is probably ask you to carry out a few tests IE Ze Zs and probably an Rcd test, he will ask you a couple of questions relating to regs.
If he finds any issues he will give you time to put them right and may except photographic evidence that you have done them.
We did our Approved contractor assessment in December and showed him 5 jobs from Domestic to Industrial and he was sound, really helpful and had a bit of something about him. We even took him to a Eicr we were halfway through that wasn't one of the 5 jobs and he offered up his thoughts and ideas.
Don't be panicking over nothing.

Malcolm beat me to it and explained it better!!!

Last edited:
When I did this a few years ago, there was a difference between the different schemes, and that did influence my choice (so I only had to show 1 major job, which was a CU change for my own house). So you might want to check with each of them, if you want to minimize the work to be assessed.

As Malcom says, make sure you have all the books and paperwork correct, they tell you exactly what you need, it would be daft to not have any of it. I probably go over the top (for a 1-man company), but I always have an up-to-date H&S policy, some recent risk assessments, my complaints log (which is still empty!), etc to show.

My CU dose need changing, it has BS3871 and is full at 6 MCBs, and not looking too good. One of the first things I would like to do.

But just need to do the min to pass this test, got to really look at it as an exam, and do what is needed with out over complex it.
I do have a new CU loaded and ready tho the bit of wood the old one is sitting on I a bit small. (Pebble dash house, murder to put things on to)

The best jobs are complete new installations, then there will be no substandard existing parts of an install for him to notice.

If you are worried that passing is going to be difficult for you then are you sure you are ready to do it? These assessments are a walk in the park for anyone fully qualified and with a good working knowledge of the regulations and testing procedures. Which any competent electrician will be.

I worrie about every thing, people are unpriable and I try to find the best way to pass/please

It is assessment, there is not point( no extra marks credit or pay) for maxing a new install
So do what you need to do to pass the test
Why make it harder, if you want could pay a kid to run out on you wilde doing a driving test, or put down some ice to show off you don't turn in to a skid.

All it says is two bits of work, so put in a side lamp on the lighting circuit and add a socket on the ring, two bits of work..

The question was and still is, what is the best two bits of work to show, that meets what they want, and isn't over complex?
I ask this because the last assessor said Shouldnt have FCU to switch a socket for white goods
And apeendix 15 of the wiring regs is wrong

Think I should stop posting questions for a bit....

Last edited by a moderator:
Domestic is usually three jobs as others have said, and Approved is usually five jobs, I usually show a couple of consumer unit changes, a shed, a kitchen / extension or something, although I do aim to make every job my best, there are jobs that I don't want to show them as theres always something, although fine, id rather not show them as I know they will have their own made up regs and cant be bothered with the hassle of them saying are you sure, are you really sure about that. etc.

Just show them a few "good" jobs and you will be fine.

I dont do posts that well, i tend to avoid Forums, so im not that keen on doing this.

The On-Site Assessment that NICEIC/NAPIT/STROMA all do to become a Domestic Installer.

What Work is the Best and Simplest to show them?
(ie Going over the top and rewiring a house is making more work for yourself to pass the assessment that dosn't need it)
(and it is just a PASS/FAILED thing so no point going over the top)

NB: If my spelling is off, i am sorry. And Grammer is out of the window.
For a DI, you will only need the cheque to clear, a shed supply and a Dist board change (sorry fuse box) and that will surfice.

The work you show them will rate you as either Full scope Domestic Installer, or defined scope.
For full scope a Consumer Unit change will suffice along with adding another socket to an existing circuit (something along those lines)
Don't forget public liability insurance, calibrated test equipment, H+S policy and complaints procedure, along with 17th edition and a basic knowledge of safe isolation and testing procedures.
But most important from any scheme providers view point !! YER MONEY.
For Domestic IMHO, its basic stuff, it must be considering the types of people joining the schemes these days lol.

I always wondered about the Catch 22 situation.

From a legal POV, a consumer unit change has to be notified within 28 days of installation by an electrician who is a member of a CPS scheme (NICEIC, etc).

BUT

he has to install a consumer unit before he is a member so that he can be assessed and then become a member.

How does that work then?

Cover the works as close to the assessment date as possible for family. friend, or even your own property.
Once your deemed compliant and have a registration number sign the work off.
You have 30 days from the date of your test certs.

Reply to On-Site Assessment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net