Discuss Operate Wired Switch Remotely? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello. I'm an electric/electronics newbie and would like some advice on what I'm hoping is a fairly simple problem.

I have an electrically operated gate that I would like to be able to open and close when I'm away from the house.

When the technician fit the gate he left a simple doorbell inside the house that will open and close the gate (instead of using the wireless fob as we tend to do most of the time).

I'm thinking that if there were a way to replace with hard wired doorbell with a switch that was still wired to the gate (he tells me there are only two wires into the back of the doorbell switch) but could be operated wirelessly then I would be in business.

I know there are a plethora of products on the market for operating light switches remotely via mobile apps, etc. Is there anything on the market that I could replace my doorbell switch with, so that it was still hard wired to the gate, but could be turned on and off via an app on my phone?

from your description, it appears that with only 2 wires at the switch, you might need to supply a Neutral to said switch. then there's a load of kit that would do the job. best get a local spark to assess and quote.

Should be possible.

Assuming the button is just operating a signal input to the gate controller, then you could use various types of controller which give a pair of normally open relay contacts as an output. Whatever you use would need to give a momentary output though, rather than one that stays closed - this will give the same effect as a push on the button then.

Do you have the documentation for the system? A wiring diagram?

On reflection Murdoch's advice is the best way to approach it. Saves any safety risk or problems with warranty being invalidated.

Thanks for all the replies.

The installer told me the two wires complete a circuit to send the instruction to open or close the gate. It’s just a normal doorbell though - and you don’t need to hold it down until the gate fully opens or closes.

The gate motor itself supports mobile access via some kind of dongle with a data plan.

I wondered if there was a low tech way by replacing the hard wired door Bell with something like this:

itead Sonoff WiFi Wireless Smart Switch Module Supports Alexa/eWelink/Google Nest - https://www.zapals.com/itead-sonoff-wifi-wireless-smart-switch-module-supports-alexa-ewelink-google-nest.html

Last edited by a moderator:
@DarrenS
There is an issue with the link directory address that is stopping the search going to the item you are enquiring about I would say it is a issue at their end not our forum.
I suggest members wanting to view it go to the link and type in Sonoff WiFi into the search bar and click the Google Nest option.

Last edited:
That particular device isn't suitable as-is. Its switched output is specifically a 230V power feed to an appliance, that can't be re-purposed to do anything else because it is combined with the power feed to the device's internal electronics. What you want is a normally-open volt-free relay contact, which is electrically equivalent to your existing extra-low voltage pushbutton.

Something like this: WebRelay Wireless - 1 Relay, 1 Digital Input, 4 1-Wire Sensors - https://www.controlbyweb.com/webrelay-wireless/ has a volt-free relay output - the wires to the existing pushbutton would connect to NO and C. It needs an external power adaptor (wall wart), a cheap 12V 1A type would be fine, and a WiFi connection. You can then trigger it by visiting its homepage with a browser on any computer, or use its own app via your mobile internet. It's a bit expensive and high-spec but shows what can be done, there are probably cheaper equivalents.

Do you have CCTV that you remotely view? This is the sort of thing that you could use the outputs on a DVR for and then use a remote viewing app to activate the output.

I have a separate hard wired CCTV system in the house that writes to a hard drive upstairs. I also have a Ring doorbell on the gate so I can see when people arrive.

It sounds a lot more complicated that I'd hoped. I'd imagined replacing the existing doorbell switch inside the house with a switch that could be accessed via the wifi. Knowing less than nothing about electrics/electronics it sounds like I'd be better off finding a local sparky to help out.

...some kind of dongle with a data plan.

I wondered if there was a low tech way by replacing the hard wired door Bell with something like this:

itead Sonoff WiFi Wireless Smart Switch Module Supports Alexa/eWelink/Google Nest - https://www.zapals.com/itead-sonoff-wifi-wireless-smart-switch-module-supports-alexa-ewelink-google-nest.html

That module just switches on or off. To replicate the push-button function you'd need this one .. Inching /self-locking WiFi Wireless Switch 5V 12V - https://www.itead.cc/inching-self-locking-wifi-wireless-switch.html which can be configured to close contacts for one second then open again.

Subject to checking the data sheet to make sure it's a volt free contact, and the fact that it needs it's own power supply.

Reply to Operate Wired Switch Remotely? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net