• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss OTransfer switch for 30A dryer receptacle in the Electrical Talk - All Other Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have a question about adding a second receptacle on a 30A 240 circuit.
I have a 10-30 receptacle in my laundry room. Unused since I have a gas dryer.
That wall is shared with my garage.
I want to put a second 10-30 receptacle in my garage for use with my electric vehicle.
I have seen transfer switches for 3 wire applications like this. Would my shopping list be the receptacle, a transfer switch and a few feet of 10 gauge wire?

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
first you need to know the wattage/current of the vehicle charger. over here in the UK, Electric vehicle chargers are on their own dedicated circuit and can only be installed once electrician has done a course on the equipment. don't know the US regs. regarding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My apologies. Did not realize this was a UK based forum.
The charger pulls 11A when plugged in using the adapter for a standard household 120v wall receptacle.
It pulls 24A when using the 10-30 adapter and plugged in to a 240v dryer receptacle.
I'll go find a forum based in the US so that I can get info from experts familiar with US code.
Thanks for the reply!

Just as an aside, it cracks me up that I have to use "receptacle". If I use "O-U-T-L-E-T" it flags it as spam.

Megawatt

-
Arms
My apologies. Did not realize this was a UK based forum.
The charger pulls 11A when plugged in using the adapter for a standard household 120v wall receptacle.
It pulls 24A when using the 10-30 adapter and plugged in to a 240v dryer receptacle.
I'll go find a forum based in the US so that I can get info from experts familiar with US code.
Thanks for the reply!

Just as an aside, it cracks me up that I have to use "receptacle". If I use "O-U-T-L-E-T" it flags it as spam.
Vince explain I don’t know what you are saying about 10-30 plug

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools

Reply to OTransfer switch for 30A dryer receptacle in the Electrical Talk - All Other Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
Top Bottom