Discuss OTransfer switch for 30A dryer receptacle in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

vinceherman

-
DIY
Reaction score
I have a question about adding a second receptacle on a 30A 240 circuit.
I have a 10-30 receptacle in my laundry room. Unused since I have a gas dryer.
That wall is shared with my garage.
I want to put a second 10-30 receptacle in my garage for use with my electric vehicle.
I have seen transfer switches for 3 wire applications like this. Would my shopping list be the receptacle, a transfer switch and a few feet of 10 gauge wire?

first you need to know the wattage/current of the vehicle charger. over here in the UK, Electric vehicle chargers are on their own dedicated circuit and can only be installed once electrician has done a course on the equipment. don't know the US regs. regarding.

My apologies. Did not realize this was a UK based forum.
The charger pulls 11A when plugged in using the adapter for a standard household 120v wall receptacle.
It pulls 24A when using the 10-30 adapter and plugged in to a 240v dryer receptacle.
I'll go find a forum based in the US so that I can get info from experts familiar with US code.
Thanks for the reply!

Just as an aside, it cracks me up that I have to use "receptacle". If I use "O-U-T-L-E-T" it flags it as spam.

The charger pulls 11A when plugged in using the adapter for a standard household 120v wall receptacle.
It pulls 24A when using the 10-30 adapter and plugged in to a 240v dryer receptacle.
I'll go find a forum based in the US so that I can get info from experts familiar with US code.
Thanks for the reply!

Just as an aside, it cracks me up that I have to use "receptacle". If I use "O-U-T-L-E-T" it flags it as spam.
Vince explain I don’t know what you are saying about 10-30 plug

Thanks for the reply!

Have you found a good usa forum for electrical, please provide link. me in california

Reply to OTransfer switch for 30A dryer receptacle in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net