Discuss Outside Light, help please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

Ads

Hi guys, just after a bit of advise about wiring in an outside light.

The customer already has one light above the front door and would like another at the end of the driveway. Just an accent light nothing to powerfull. The original light is controlled off of a light switch in the house. What would be the best way of wiring this in?

The house is on a re-wireable fuse board, but apart from that i havn't had a look at the wiring. Is there anything i need to consider when taking on the job?

Another chap told me that if the house has no bonding i have to do this aswell, is this true?

thanks
Adam

Hi,i would suggest to lead the same size (3 core)cable from current light to which you want to add on.Outside light should be protected by RCD,but if the house is on re-wirable fuse board you should consider it as it has probably old wiring in TN-C-S and best way is rewire whole house for safety purposes.

if the house is on re-wirable fuse board you should consider it as it has probably old wiring in TN-C-S and best way is rewire whole house for safety purposes.

I think rewiring a house just to install an additional outside light is a bit extreme but it should be checked for the usual.

Yes, the circuit you are working on must now be brought up to spec with an RCD but this can be achieved by putting an RCD in line with the circuit the outside lights are on, and yes, the main bonding should also be checked and sorted if needed.

SWA is probably the only way if the cable run needs to be underground, but to be honest, its a bit tricky advising as we havent seen the current set up etc.

Also, this work will require notifying to LABC as its outside.

Good luck!

This work would only be notifiable if the feed point was in a kitchen or bathroom, the cabling ran across the garden, it is a new circuit back to the CU or you made any connections outside except into the enclosure provided on the lighting.

Check the existing light has an earth, easy to do with a test lamp...check the fuse rating and associated wiring, if ok tap off.

Last edited by a moderator:
This work would only be notifiable if the feed point was in a kitchen or bathroom, the cabling ran across the garden, it is a new circuit back to the CU or you made any connections outside except into the enclosure provided on the lighting.

I thought that if you add lighting outside then its notifiable no matter where the feed is from, lounge or bedroom for example, if the alteration is made inside the property in a non-special location then this doesnt need to be notified (but always tested).

If you feed from a non special location to a special location (like a garden) then this will need testing and notifying.
If your installing garden power or lighting then it needs notifying no matter where the feeds from?

Am i wrong?

Yes, the circuit you are working on must now be brought up to spec with an RCD
I have looked but cant find any thing saying an out side light need to be rcd protected but this said i do any new/ out side work using a rcd what reg is that
beaver

I have looked but cant find any thing saying an out side light need to be rcd protected but this said i do any new/ out side work using a rcd what reg is that
beaver

It has nothing to do with the outside light.

Its the wiring to it.

Apologies though, as i assumed new cables ,less than 50mm etc etc hence the need for RCD.

:)

Reply to Outside Light, help please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock