Discuss Outside Wiring Voltage Tolerance in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Shahriar

DIY
Reaction score
Hi Friends,
I bought a house and trying to add lamps to the outside. There are cables wires all around my stucco walls and the end of them just lie close to a plug. I was going to add a plug head and simply put them into the plug and also bought 8 6W lamps 110V that will be added. I was wondering if the current cables can handle 110V? I have attached the wires that will go into the plugs, but wanted to see if this cable could handle 110V or is it more of a low voltage cable ?Outside Wiring Voltage Tolerance 20221118_122939 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Friends,
I bought a house and trying to add lamps to the outside. There are cables wires all around my stucco walls and the end of them just lie close to a plug. I was going to add a plug head and simply put them into the plug and also bought 8 6W lamps 110V that will be added. I was wondering if the current cables can handle 110V? I have attached the wires that will go into the plugs, but wanted to see if this cable could handle 110V or is it more of a low voltage cable ?View attachment 103851
Those wires look like fixture wiring so not it is not approved for what you are doing. You need at least # 12 UF romex.

Fixture wiring is small like # 16. I could be wrong but in your picture it looks like smaller than # 12 wiring
Is there a way to know if the wire is 12 or 16 ? I dont see any writing on the wire itself.
I believe a fixture is generally a light that is installed in your home. Can (recessed) lights are fixtures; a decorator's designed retro light fixture to hang in your entry is a fixture: thus, a fixture is not one type of lighting, but it can be florescent, incandescent or LED; it can be one light or a series of lights on the same circuit like mood lights in a family room that shine upwards to a coffered ceiling to accent the architecture; I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain. Fixtures may also be made to be out-of-doors. Thus a fixture can be inside a dwelling or outside of it. But the wiring that comes attached to the fixture that you join your wiring to is fixture wiring. Depending upon the fixture, the size of wiring it requires to light the fixture, can vary. I try to use wiring that is slightly over the matching wire requirement, so if more light fixtures are added or different ones are put in and it goes from at 100W to 3 fixtures of 100W. I hope you understand my wandering explanation. The explanation is made more complicated because the word fixture has so many interpretations. A mental check could be to think is the word referring to lighting? Inside or Outside? How many are on the circuit? Old fixtures that are hardwired into your home can be knob and tube which then begs the question: replace the wire or continue to use it. It has a covering that is soft and has fabric so when cutting you get strands of fabric when trimming the wire. I don't know what the covering is called in that old wiring, but if left alone it does pretty well, I think. I live in a home that has KnT throughout it. But the big issue with this type of wiring is it has no ground. The ground makes your wiring more safe. It is required.
You may ascertain what you want to do when you know what's up. Good luck. KaCe

Reply to Outside Wiring Voltage Tolerance in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock