Discuss Oven thermostat & temperature in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

macblack

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, looking for some advice.

The wife recently said the oven doesn't cook food the same way it used to (recently a chicken pie came out cold in the middle). So I bought a oven thermometer, put the oven on 200c and after about 7 minutes the light went out. I checked the oven thermometer but it was only reading about 140c.

I assumed it was a faulty thermostat, so I bought and fitted a new one.

I repeated the test and got exactly the same results.

I borrowed an infra red thermometer from a friend and again repeated the test. The oven thermometer was still reading 140c. Interestingly the infra red thermometer said the back of the oven was 200c but when I pointed it at the oven thermometer it had a reading of 140c!

Its a fan oven so I assumed an equal temperature all around. If you leave the oven thermometer for 25-30mins it does eventually get to 200c.

So I'm a little confused and would appreciate any insight.

Thanks in advance.

Mac

I’ll have a look at that next, thanks, that would make sense. Although you can hear a fan running it’s probably the cooling fan..

Is the big whirly thing at the back of the oven going round?
probably the problem . he has a helicopter in the oven :p :p ..... seriously, if the oven has 2 elements (maybe top and bottom) 1 element may have failed so that only part of the oven is attaining the correct temperature.

probably the problem . he has a helicopter in the oven :p :p ..... seriously, if the oven has 2 elements (maybe top and bottom) 1 element may have failed so that only part of the oven is attaining the correct temperature.

Well at least that would have been an explanation! I didn't get to the bottom of this. I checked all fans (3), elements(3) and thermostats (2) which all checked out OK. I've left the oven thermometer in there so now instead of waiting for the thermostat light to go off, we check the thermometer although it takes about 2.5 times longer to warm up compared to the time the thermostat light goes out!

As the new thermostat made no difference and the infra red thermometer said the oven at the back was at the correct temperature, I can only assume the circulation fan isn't as efficient as it was when new, although it can't take much effort to circulate hot air..

Saying that politicians seem to have no problem doing this, bum bum..

this is why instructions often say pre heat oven for 30 minutes, NOT pre heat oven until light goes out!!

I'm nearly 50 and I've never heard this although I wouldn't exactly call myself a decent cook? What's the point of the light on the oven then?
it's so you can see what's going on inside. ( i refer here to the little 25watt bulb at the back, ours ain't worked for 10 years, and yes, i changed the bulb. :D :D :D ).

Sounds like a failing element to me. Possibly the bottom one if the thermostat is near the top of the compartment it may show a higher reading from the top element.

Sounds like a failing element to me. Possibly the bottom one if the thermostat is near the top of the compartment it may show a higher reading from the top element.
you mean the little red neon that sez don't put fingers in oven it's hot? and your scouse humour has not gone unnoticed. :)
No the little red neon that goes off that says your ovens up to temperature. ;)
[automerge]1572701319[/automerge]
It's the main oven which only has one heating element and its a fan assisted (the fan is working) so location shouldn't matter?

It's the main oven which only has one heating element and its a fan assisted (the fan is working) so location shouldn't matter?
Sounds like the fan isn't circulating correctly then. Is the fan still attached to the motor shaft?

so.. fan problem eliminated... element problem eliminated. ..thermostat eleiminated. leads to conclusion..new oven.

The last thing I can think of if the stat has been replaced, is the door seal in good order?

The other thing which has crossed my mind is one of the elements is faulty when hot, clamp the current when the elements are on and does it tie up with the rating of the elements.

Reply to Oven thermostat & temperature in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock