Discuss Overloads in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Any of you ever come across overloads protective devices failing? Was testing a installation yesterday with water pumps and the pumps were wired in 1.5 HO7 RNF on a 40 Amp BS88-2 however the start and run windings of the pump motor were both protected by 6Amp overloads.

Agreed. The high rating of the fuses has been used only for fault protection so that a small disconnection time is achieved. As the pumps were drawing such a small current I recorded it as a C2 with further investigation required.

Any of you ever come across overloads protective devices failing? Was testing a installation yesterday with water pumps and the pumps were wired in 1.5 HO7 RNF on a 40 Amp BS88-2 however the start and run windings of the pump motor were both protected by 6Amp overloads.
Tried to red your avitar , what does it say lol?

however the start and run windings of the pump motor were both protected by 6Amp overloads.
If you mean there was an overload for each winding I've never seen an arrangement like that. Usually the same overload would protect both windings. It is possible for overload relays to fail, short circuit damage and even insects inside them could cause it.

The 40A fuse with the 1.5mm cable is oversized even for neoprene I might suggest 20A would be more suitable.

Sorry marvo you are correct one overload for both sets of conductors for both windings!What a difference an 's' makes. It's just that it would be a pretty bad scenario that if the overload were to fail and the contactor was to be welded shut, if the pump were to pull a greater current because of a rag stuck in its motor, then the conductors are left under rated. Personally I would recommend the 20A as well to achieve suitable fault current protection.

Reply to Overloads in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock