Discuss Overtightening Meter Terminals in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yes of course.
More details would be nice, don't want to pry, but was that an in house course run by the company you work for? if you are unsure of any aspects of your role then I would have expected some sort of employee advice centre you could call on, to be honest with you I do find it odd, regarding the sort of work you are employed to do, and yet not much information or engineering equipment provided, please don't think I'm being dismissive of your role, just seems an odd question seeing as you have had training etc, anyway ask for information on torque setting and tooling for the equipment you are installing, good luck.

No we do not get given torque screwdrivers for wiring meters. It’s done on feel alone. Hence why I tighten until I can’t tighten anymore. Just worried that could be damaging the copper strands.
Well then that is bad, don't know your experience in the electrical field, so where does you experience of "feel" comes from, I'm not practicing this trade any more as I'm retired but, it is odd that they expect this from you seeing as it is at the start of an electrical installation, what with the loads that will be expected.

More details would be nice, don't want to pry, but was that an in house course run by the company you work for? if you are unsure of any aspects of your role then I would have expected some sort of employee advice centre you could call on, to be honest with you I do find it odd, regarding the sort of work you are employed to do, and yet not much information or engineering equipment provided, please don't think I'm being dismissive of your role, just seems an odd question seeing as you have had training etc, anyway ask for information on torque setting and tooling for the equipment you are installing, good luck.
In house qualification, I don’t want to mention company but apparently they are the highest rated at training for meter installations. It’s just the little things really that come from experience and such. And probably my own worry and anxiety about whether I think a connection is tight enough. A torque screwdriver would alleviate that worry.

Out of interest do you have targets ie you have to do so many meters in a day?
Yes we have stupid targets. On average we get 4 to 5 dual fuel jobs a day with the timing being 50 mins for electric and about half an hour for the gas. Bonus is paid on installs so you can see why people will rush jobs to try and hit bonus.

Reply to Overtightening Meter Terminals in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock