CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Packing out back boxes in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I have chased out some 35mm and 47mm metal back boxes into some walls made up of granite and mud. Some of the chases have gone too deep and was wondering what people use to pack out the boxes and to even them where the chased out box is uneven?

Cheers

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
I have chased out some 35mm and 47mm metal back boxes into some walls made up of granite and mud. Some of the chases have gone too deep and was wondering what people use to pack out the boxes and to even them where the chased out box is uneven?

Cheers
Whip up some strong compo and bed the box into that, when compo is set, drill and screw as normal.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Hi Pete, what do you mean when you say compo? Not familiar with the term. Cheers
Sand, Cement and water, Brickie's brick laying mix but a bit stronger, add a dash of Washing up Liquid to make it more pliable. Slap it in the box hole, set box at the right depth and height allow to set then drill a fixing hole and strengthen the fixing, jobs a good one. I used to scrounge a bucket of "muck" from the cement mixer.
A pointing trowel was always part of my first fix tool bag.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sand, Cement and water, Brickie's brick laying mix but a bit stronger, add a dash of Washing up Liquid to make it more pliable. Slap it in the box hole, set box at the right depth and height allow to set then drill a fixing hole and strengthen the fixing, jobs a good one. I used to scrounge a bucket of "muck" from the cement mixer.
A pointing trowel was always part of my first fix tool bag.
Thanks Pete sounds ideal I will give that a go.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Thanks Pete sounds ideal I will give that a go.
It saves faffing about packing back boxes with bits of wood etc, need to wait for the Compo to harden, but on new builds it can save so much time. Good luck with it, sure iy will work for you.

-
Arms
Esteemed
Be careful of using bonding if the wall isn't a cavity wall or is liable to get a little damp - the bonding will act like a sponge

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
What is it called Compo? I have never heard of that.
Muck,Compo, S---, Mortar, lots of names, we just called it Compo down in Bath Bristol area, why? I don't know, just know "go and get some Compo" was the order of the day when fitting back boxes, some Sparks used "Thistle Bonding coat" never rated that myself, couldn't beat a dollop of Compo.

ruston

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Advent Win
Muck,Compo, S---, Mortar, lots of names, we just called it Compo down in Bath Bristol area, why? I don't know, just know "go and get some Compo" was the order of the day when fitting back boxes, some Sparks used "Thistle Bonding coat" never rated that myself, couldn't beat a dollop of Compo.
Compo up here too Pete. I suppose it is short for compound.

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

Reply to Packing out back boxes in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
Top Bottom