Discuss Panel indicator replacement to LED in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I've an M&E client who wants me to replace a whole load of 'tired' 5v panel lamps on BMS systems for LED. My spidey sense is pricking my brain and wondering if there's some relevant standards that apply to the type of lumination for safety etc etc?? I've yet to start looking but I'm guessing there are conversion kits available for just this thing??

Do the whole panel lamp fittings need replacing because of their condition, or could you get away with fitting LED versions of the bulbs?
My hazy memory of equipment standards is that indicator lamp requirements would be included in the applicable product standard. There certainly are rules about what colour you can use for what, especially in medical!

Although related to safety, I don't think BMS comes into the 'safety critical' category.
There's bound to be a BSEN nnnn on panel lamps, but after investing £100 it probably won't tell you anything you don't know already.
Edit BS EN 60204-1 Machinery and BS EN 60073 Man/machine interface coding principles for indicators ?

There's the usual caveat about your liability when you start modifying equipment, but it's presumably bespoke hardware already, so not much different from normal?

Last edited:
Shame about the voltage , otherwise you could use standard products like Schneiders LED indicator lights,
In fairness they might be - I've yet to get up close and personal!

Do the whole panel lamp fittings need replacing because of their condition, or could you get away with fitting LED versions of the bulbs?
My hazy memory of equipment standards is that indicator lamp requirements would be included in the applicable product standard. There certainly are rules about what colour you can use for what, especially in medical!

Although related to safety, I don't think BMS comes into the 'safety critical' category.
There's bound to be a BSEN nnnn on panel lamps, but after investing £100 it probably won't tell you anything you don't know already.
Edit BS EN 60204-1 Machinery and BS EN 60073 Man/machine interface coding principles for indicators ?

There's the usual caveat about your liability when you start modifying equipment, but it's presumably bespoke hardware already, so not much different from normal?
Yeah, I can't think that a BMS panel of 'is the pump running' type stuff is going to be deemed safety critical?

Reply to Panel indicator replacement to LED in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock