Discuss Part P Face and my view on it in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

westward10

Staff member
Admin
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
So just been to see sister in law who has had her en suite redone, electrics done by bathroom peoples "electrician". So no rcd protection, cpcs unconnected at fan isolator, flex for cabinet lights on unenclosed block connector in wall cavity, underfloor heating and a new socket for the bedroom both on a radial from the existing ring final with no circuit protection but this bit does have existing additional rcd protection. I wanted to pull a downlight out but didn't want to damage the ceiling, dread to think how they are connected. Apparently they have finished and will be sending her a Certificate for Part P compliance, not on my watch he won't be. He is going to rue the day he opened his tool box in that house.

Westies experience just goes to show what the scams are all about, doesn't it? as long as you are prepared to pay the dues anyone can join, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the reason this particular outfit got admission to the scam, was a scam in it's own right by the bathroom company. Get a decent Electrician to do a couple of jobs for them, use these jobs as inspection jobs, then get Kevin the kitchen guy and Bill the bathroom guy to do the rest after admission to said scam. They should be exposed, the scams I mean.:mad::mad::mad:

Sxd the part p cert..... What you need to see are the mwc's for the work done..... Then compare results ......if differences, then a report to the scheme....
Great idea Murdoch, but I believe rightly or wrongly that the Scams will club together and cover their proverbial assets, I think what is needed is a Government investigation, after all it was only after one of their own got injured, that they set this fiasco in motion. What is needed is quality evidence, documented cases where the Part P thing has been misused, not individual anecdotal hearsay, a petition maybe to a local MP, with pressure to escalate it up to Cabinet level, up the revolution. The scams have been picking Electricians pockets for years now, about time the truth was exposed.

Sxd the part p cert..... What you need to see are the mwc's for the work done..... Then compare results ......if differences, then a report to the scheme....
In fairness the test results don't have to be nonsense to report them - inspection is the most important part of the inspection and testing process, so there is ample ammunition from the visual inspections to report them (although I guess that they will be given the opportunity to correct the work before action is taken).

In fairness the test results don't have to be nonsense to report them - inspection is the most important part of the inspection and testing process, so there is ample ammunition from the visual inspections to report them (although I guess that they will be given the opportunity to correct the work before action is taken).
You're right they will be given the opportunity to correct their lash ups, but ask the question, should they or should the be exposed NOW? not much reporting them to themselves is it?

The certificates "description of works" would make interesting reading.....

Thanks for the replies had to pop out. Going to put together an email for the bathroom company noting my concerns with hopefully a meet with monkey on site. I did wonder how rcd protection would be provided because there is a Wylex NB split load board which doesn't take rcbos, well they just didn't bother and it is worrying how many other properties they have done this in. I have told her to withhold payment but I need to carefully word something without saying what I really feel. When I showed her how he had connected the cabinet lights with block connector in the cavity she did say he said it was tricky to connect! It came with a flex from the top, well difficult just stick an outlet plate in. I will try and keep you posted on events.

Thanks for the replies had to pop out. Going to put together an email for the bathroom company noting my concerns with hopefully a meet with monkey on site. I did wonder how rcd protection would be provided because there is a Wylex NB split load board which doesn't take rcbos, well they just didn't bother and it is worrying how many other properties they have done this in. I have told her to withhold payment but I need to carefully word something without saying what I really feel. When I showed her how he had connected the cabinet lights with block connector in the cavity she did say he said it was tricky to connect! It came with a flex from the top, well difficult just stick an outlet plate in. I will try and keep you posted on events.
Thanks Westie

Westies experience just goes to show what the scams are all about, doesn't it? as long as you are prepared to pay the dues anyone can join, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the reason this particular outfit got admission to the scam, was a scam in it's own right by the bathroom company. Get a decent Electrician to do a couple of jobs for them, use these jobs as inspection jobs, then get Kevin the kitchen guy and Bill the bathroom guy to do the rest after admission to said scam. They should be exposed, the scams I mean.:mad::mad::mad:
agree pete, unfortunately the schemes dont randomly select jobs to inspect, the contractor tells them what jobs he's done and can basically show them the 'good installs' by the good lads and not bother with the shi*e ones!

I just know the guys gonna feel 2 foot tall when your finished with him :)

agree pete, unfortunately the schemes dont randomly select jobs to inspect, the contractor tells them what jobs he's done and can basically show them the 'good installs' by the good lads and not bother with the shi*e ones!
Exactly, a fit up all around.

One well known national bathroom company think it's perfectly acceptable to vent bathrooms into the loft space!
Just a point of interest, how many schemes, certifying organisations are there within the "Gas safe" certification method? is it just the one, or are there similar money making cadres like the electrical industry?

One well known national bathroom company think it's perfectly acceptable to vent bathrooms into the loft space!
Some new builds you can only vent through the loft into the sofit as bathroom is not on an external wall but insulated foil duct is used.
I've never thought much of it to be honest.

Reply to Part P Face and my view on it in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net