Discuss pay your invoice or watch your windows in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Business paying at the end of the week is comon place,
Even paying at the end of the month is common
especially with larger corperate style business.
They seem to expect you to know this.
The best way around all this,
is to sort it out in the beginning,
so both sides know and agree.
If you just expect them to understand,
you could be in for a shock.

I think what Buzz is getting at is the general way the public can often behave. We don't expect to get a pizza delivered or get a taxi somewhere and then say we will pay you in ten days time..
Unfortunately more and more people are becoming like this. It may be partly due to them being busy and just not getting round to it yet, but often I feel that people generally are too self-absorbed and it's all about them. And anyway, why should they pay you this week, they have to buy some rubbish off the internet and spend time finding themselves first. Commercial work is a little different quite often, but I have had jobs where they can get a cheque counter-signed within 24hrs when a deposit is required and they want the work to start ASAP, but then have to wait three months or more for the final counter-signed cheque to arrive. Poor prioritising IMO.

The terms are stipulated in the contact agreed by both parties, a friend has a building company and he works on a 14 day term.

Just don't do any work for the NHS 90 day terms.........

I'm sick and tried of sending invoices to customer saying pay within the seven days and some customers try and pay late .I run a business not a charity, I now you have to give them 30days to pay in the invoice ,but stuff that ,we have all been their waiting for payment .I now send them pay now or face the wrath of buzz.
Simple solution.
1 Make it clear that invoices are payable upon receipt of the electrical certificate
2 Give the client the certificate (which you have forgotten to sign)
3 when they pay you then you can 'remember " to sign the document.
Everyone is happy

Business paying at the end of the week is comon place,
Even paying at the end of the month is common
especially with larger corperate style business.
They seem to expect you to know this.
The best way around all this,
is to sort it out in the beginning,
so both sides know and agree.
If you just expect them to understand,
you could be in for a shock.

I see you state Australia as your location and it sounds like Australia has a better attitude towards paying its suppliers.

In the UK, some companies have awful reputations for delaying payment and you either chose not to deal with them or accept their terms.

Which is why I always suggest to people who ask about becoming self employed :

"and make sure you have plenty of cash in your business account so you can pay your suppliers when your customers don't pay you"

Theres no such thing as standard payment terms/dates in the UK. For domestics and commercial agree what you want. Every customer of mine gets a copy of my terms and the payment period is 14 days. Saying that I have some customers - business and domestic that often pay before I've done the job!
With business to business in the absence of any other terms The Late Payment of Commercial Debts Regs assumes 30 days. Under these rules you are entitled to interest and additional costs for chasing debts.

The one thing that is in your hands is the certification, just state in your T&Cs that certification will be released upon full payment , also state that there is late payment charges of £x amount added to account , attach ur t&cs with every invoice , if ur working for a company your t&cs will apply if they haven’t supplied u with theirs , even if they say we pay in 60 days that is irrelevant as yours are the ones that apply in a court

If you have not issued the electrical certificate to the person ordering the work you have not complied with BS7671 so why should they make full payment to you. You have not fulfilled the contract by not issuing.

The company I worked for in Birmingham paid at the end of the month following the month the job was done. In the worst case, a job done on Jan 2, would not be paid for until early March. This was clearly stated on the order and no job would be paid for without an order.

Privately, I tend to pay quickly. For small jobs; on completion, but for more expensive work, I like to hold back at least a part, to make sure that nothing blows up/falls off as soon as the tradesman leaves. I work on the principle that I might well want them again and if they know I am a 'good' payer, I might get some benefit.

Discounts for prompt payment are a very good incentive.

How many sparkies on this site use one of the many mobile card payment devices we have down under??
I'm a Kiwi I rent a mobile card machine (Payclip) from my bank (BNZ) for $30/ month plus VAT that does chip and pin/swipe and contactless card payments. the Payclip bluetooths to a phone app and the payment goes direct into a seperate card account. Credit card payments cost me 1.75% , the other card payments cost me nothing. Longest time for the banks to transfer the money has been 36 hours.
Usually use it for those small domestic jobs where you're there for 2/3 hours with minimal materials. I write a manual invoice on the spot and say " just gimme ya card" Well I actually ask nicer than that but you get the picture.

I’m not sure but as long as it is completed and issued as soon as payment is made there should be no issue
You have no right to hold onto the electrical certificate and at the same time demand payment, If you are holding the certificate then there is no reason anyone should pay you anything because the job isn't finished until you give them the certificate. If you withheld a certificate and tried to sue someone for non payment you would be laughed out of court

Can you walk out of a shop without paying for the goods and say I'll pay you within 28 days? Of course not ,so what's the difference you should be paid asap.

The difference is important and no a contractual standard agreement for services done is 28 days or 1 month unless otherwise agreed, to try relate this to buying a sandwich at gregs or a tv at comet is a poor analogy, if you buy any product from any store then legally you can take it back within a given time period and ask for your money back for varoius reasons, the same applies to contractual work, once completed they have a settle in period that allows them to contend the work before payment, if you are financially struggling then don't blame the customer, blame the economy or your business model.

You have no right to hold onto the electrical certificate and at the same time demand payment, If you are holding the certificate then there is no reason anyone should pay you anything because the job isn't finished until you give them the certificate. If you withheld a certificate and tried to sue someone for non payment you would be laughed out of court

I thought BS7671 was kinda worded in that way, but can't find that wording at the mo. I always issued my certificates before payment.

Going back to my car analogy, MOT's are now stored electronically, and you don't get the old embossed certificate. So even though you've not paid before picking up the car, the certificate is completed. However, you've no access to that certificate until you've paid, and then get a paper copy.

I guess it would be difficult to hold onto an EICR, as the customer would need to see, as thats your 'work', other than actual work done and EIC etc issued.

I know of a few sparks that hold onto the certificate until payment is completed, especially where builders are involved.

I thought BS7671 was kinda worded in that way, but can't find that wording at the mo. I always issued my certificates before payment.

Going back to my car analogy, MOT's are now stored electronically, and you don't get the old embossed certificate. So even though you've not paid before picking up the car, the certificate is completed. However, you've no access to that certificate until you've paid, and then get a paper copy.

I guess it would be difficult to hold onto an EICR, as the customer would need to see, as thats your 'work', other than actual work done and EIC etc issued.

I know of a few sparks that hold onto the certificate until payment is completed, especially where builders are involved.[/

I know of a few sparks that hold onto the certificate until payment is completed, especially where builders are involved.
If it eventually went to court it would go something like this....

Judge: why haven't you paid Mr sparky for the work he did?

Client: because I haven't received an electrical certificate

Judge to Mr sparky: why are you expecting payment for something that you haven't yet provided? (Certificate)

Mr sparky: errrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmm

Judge: case closed and Mr sparky can pay the costs of this court case and the costs of the client

Reply to pay your invoice or watch your windows in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net