Discuss Photocell and time clock on same circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

As per title, I seem to see this quite a lot especially in new builds where a time clock and photocell are both wired intro the same circuit for communal lights. What is the logic behind this ? Surely it’s better to have just one or the other, as the photocell will not operate the lights if the time clock is not on and vice Versa, also it’s just adding another device that can fail, I just don’t see the point in having both ?
Probably a simple explanation that will make me look stupid ! 🤣 l
Look forward to your responses.

Usual arrangement is that the photocell turns the light on (when it gets dark) and the timeswitch is used to turn it off at some point in the night.
I have that set up here, in a dark area between one of my holiday cottages and their garden/dog toilet. Switches the light on at dusk, and off at 11.30 PM.

Yep, as above, it saves the lights being on all through the night and early hours of the morning.

Mine come on at dusk and go off about 10.30PM. But I do it with a smart socket and a Google home routine, so no need for any actual timer or photocell.

Reply to Photocell and time clock on same circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock