Discuss PIR or Microwave sensor, dimming from 50% upto 100% in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've done my research to find the correct components but it kinda messy..
Does anyone have experience with dimming outdoor lights, specifically have them set at around 50% dusk till dawn, but be at 100% when presences is detected via a PIR or Microwave sensor.

Any help, much appreciated đź‘Ť

I have just googled 'sensing street lamp sensors' and quite a few products and companies are listed which provide the technology you mentioned. I have no experience of this technology or these products.

An example:

CitySense Plus - https://tvilight.com/products/street-light-motion-sensor/rf-mesh-pir-street-light-motion-sensor-citysense_plus/

Are you faced with a technology selection problem or do you aim to design from scratch something similar? Whichever, the nature of the lamps to be controlled will have a bearing on the most suitable technology. And reliability if there are a large number of lamps being controlled. And if applicable, the ease of retrofit.

Depends on what you are trying to achieve,
Energy saving?
Giving the impression of building / area occupation?
Or ??

The simplest way would be to have some low power lights on dusk to dawn control, then some higher powered lights on PIR control.
Or use all higher power and have alternate lights dusk to dawn and the others PIR.

I have just googled 'sensing street lamp sensors' and quite a few products and companies are listed which provide the technology you mentioned. I have no experience of this technology or these products.

An example:

CitySense Plus - https://tvilight.com/products/street-light-motion-sensor/rf-mesh-pir-street-light-motion-sensor-citysense_plus/

Are you faced with a technology selection problem or do you aim to design from scratch something similar? Whichever, the nature of the lamps to be controlled will have a bearing on the most suitable technology. And reliability if there are a large number of lamps being controlled. And if applicable, the ease of retrofit.

Depends on what you are trying to achieve,
Energy saving?
Giving the impression of building / area occupation?
Or ??

The simplest way would be to have some low power lights on dusk to dawn control, then some higher powered lights on PIR control.
Or use all higher power and have alternate lights dusk to dawn and the others PIR.
Realised my question was too vague, so it's a domestic situation so an expensive commercials solution wouldn't be right.
It has to be a single set of outdoor light that are on for general lighting and security. But I want the ability to not have them at 100% untill there is presence.

I have looked at 1-10V dimming solutions. But I guess I was hoping someone who might have tackled something similar had a 'go to'

I installed a few outside lamps in my last house which were called Hi-Lo types. They were on about1/4 power dusk til dawn, but the sensor switched them to 100% when motion was detected. Worked perfectly for years, may still be, but I can't remember the manufacturers name.

They looked much like this:

Reply to PIR or Microwave sensor, dimming from 50% upto 100% in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net