Discuss PME and isolators in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Plonker 3

Who is responsible for fitting the above, I always thought a supplier could install both.

But just been speaking to EON on behalf of a customer and they say they can fit a isolator but it is up to to the DNO to install the PME. :dunce:

I have always understood it as the DNO is responsible for the supply cable, its earth, the service head and the fuse. The supplier for equipment after that in the chain, tails to meter, meter, isolator. Anything after that is the end users.

Well I was sent to a job where I found a gas leak and the letting agent asked me to stay and call out Transco who then had to get permission from the supplier as they may have wanted to use their own contractor so it got kicked around the doors until they got the nod.

Just to add they are not responsable for the earth plus if you look at the latest edition of switched on the Electrical Safety Council where "dissapointed" at the governments refusal to force suppliers of smart meters to fit an intergrated isolator apparently the DNOs managed to lobby the government that an isolator was not required yet my thinking is they should just fit a stand alone one whilst they fit a new meter or service head. It really annoys me the way they can just brush everybody off plus I got called out to a job where the just changed the service head and then told the owner the main earth was too small (6mm) then they said get an electrician and to make matters worse they refused to connect the 6mm into their MET:mad2:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one where they moved the supply and fitted a new meter, 100amp tncs, in external cupboard.
I was going off site for a short time when they asked if I had some 16mm g/y, none available. I said i'd be half an hour and pick some up. Then one shouted he'd found some in the van. When i got back I noticed they'd fitted 10mm, shot off and didn't even mention it, or leave a message.

I've only known Western Power to install PME here, and have been at jobs where supplier has had to call out Western Power for PME. But I have seen supplier install isolators before. Western Power love to fit the isolators as they have a huge mark up on them.

Dillb, I had exactly the same thing several weeks ago, and after many many calls to EON and UKPN, here was the outcome...

Firstly, Eon will connect you to a PME provided that the correct neutral block has been installed AND there is a PME sticker from the DNO in place.
The DNO will not connect you to PME because they say they are not allowed to (that is EON's job)

So, for me, it involved getting UKPN out, who installed the neutral block and checked the EFLI.
They then had to come out again to put a sticker on the board.
Once the sticker was in place EON were happy to come out and connect to the supply as a PME plus fit an isolator at the same time if you require one).

Hope this helps.

Reply to PME and isolators in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock